Goat milk clump/udder question

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cannot find an answer to this - This morning Perdy had a couple small clumps come out while milking and one rather stringy segment too. They shot right out of the teat and her udder felt normal to me - soft after milking, no bumps or lumps, not hot. Is this something to worry about or just a normal thing? I want to stay on top of it in case congestion is setting in.

Edit to add- the clumps were not hard, but more like coagulated milk and it happened after I had milked her out about halfway

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not that I've ever experienced anything like that, but if the rest of her milk was fine and she's acting fine I'd just keep an eye on her and make sure you milk her completely out each day.

Do you have a mastitis test on hand? If so, it wouldn't hurt anything to test her out. I highly doubt it's something like that, but if you have the test might as well cover that base.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a test and the doelings are still nursing so they get whatever I don't.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it could be that they bumped her a little too hard a time or two. Since she's not really off in any other way I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How long has she been lactating? I've gotten calcium from Mya's udder early in the lactation because she was dried off too quickly.....any speed is too quick for Mya, btw. The first time it was kinda scary because it took a LOT of pressure for me to squeeze out what looked like grainy toothpaste and some globs. It was just unabsorbed calcium leftover from last season.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She kidded on Feb 9. So about 10 weeks or so. Now I'm wondering if it's because we just started separating the kids at night so I can milk in the morning. Maybe it's just an adjustment to the new schedule.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just read somewhere recently (can't remember where, since I'm ALWAYS reading something somewhere!) that goats with high butter fat content can have some of the thicker fat (cream) settle in the teat - then it comes out with the first squirt or two. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but since you just started separating baby and mom it might explain it.