goat milk icecream

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made my first whole goat milk ice cream last night. Tried it with Easter supper tonight and OMG it was so good. I am so very excited I just had to share! :celebrate

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Welllllll, share the recipe, too! This is one place where I WILL eat some sugar!

Anyone made frozen yogurt that isn't sour?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Pretty please? This will help in my decision on cow vs goats. If I can make lotsa things with goats milk--I might be leanin' more towards a goat.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does goat's milk taste different that cow's milk? I read that people who didn't know they were drinking goat's milk didn't know the difference? is that true? I want a couple goats but not if I can't use the milk like I would cow's milk.

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
cjparker said:
Does goat's milk taste different that cow's milk? I read that people who didn't know they were drinking goat's milk didn't know the difference? is that true? I want a couple goats but not if I can't use the milk like I would cow's milk.
the lady who kindly shares her goats milk with me has raised dairy goats for 30 years, she told me that the milk taste was genetic and the other component in taste was feed. I will say, I cannot tell the difference in cow milk vs her goats milk.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Years ago when I was a kid, we would take our good goat's milk and do a blind taste test with people who claimed it was nasty. They would get their cow's milk from the store and we would put a bit in two glasses for them to try.

They always could tell the difference. Immediately and they were always startled by it. They preferred the goat's milk, saying they could detect a chemical taste in the cow's milk and the goat's milk tasted much fresher.

Of course, that did not compare FRESH cow's milk to fresh goat's milk!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay this came from an old guy here in town. It is for Vanilla but I added about three tablespoons of cho syrup and it was great.

9 cups whole goat milk
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs well beaten
3 table spoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

beat eggs add sugar mix well til smooth
add salt and vanilla mix well
slowly add milk in large pan mix really well and bring to boil. Place in fridge and chill for 2 hours then place in ice cream freezer and freeze

My freezer was in the garage and since I had no ice at the time I simply chilled mine then put it in pint freezer containers and into the freezer. Came out good but with the little ice crystals that it seem all home made ice cream gets when put in a regular freezer. But I bet it would be amazing fresh from a run through an ice cream freezer. I will let you know cause I am defiantly buying ice for this weekend.

It is very rich so you may want to try a small batch and try to add your vanilla and cho to your taste. Me I like it rich so it was all good to me.

edited to add- I can not tell a taste difference in our goat milk from boughten cow milk but I will tell you it has a consistence difference. Ours we drink RAW, just strained and thoroughly chilled. Pasteurized goat milk does taste a lot different I am told though I have not tried it cause frankly we like it so I don't want to mess with it. DO not try it not strained and warm it will grouse you out and you will never try it again even though it tastes totally different that way.It has a lot of cream in it so it has a bit thicker consistency then the milk we bought. But then again we also always bought 2% .

I heard though the other day from a lady that if you are milking one to drink raw you should not put it to pasture. You should only feed them grain and good quality hay. I do allow my girls on pasture when we are milking as well as the hay and grain when they are being milked, and I don't really think it makes a difference. You defiantly need to keep where you milk your goat clean, we milk right into a cold glass one quart canning jars, they are easy to handle and easy to keep clean a quick run through the dishwasher and you are good to go. You want to make sure you get the milk as cold as you can as quick as you can. This also helps keep the taste good. And you do not want an intact male goat in with a nanny you are milking, it will make the milk taste goaty. I have males but they are kept with the girls we are not currently milking. And do not affect the taste even though they are all in the same barn, since the do not have "access" to the milking girls.

I hope this helps you make your goat vs cow choice and that everyone enjoys the ice cream I can't wait to try to make raspberry!

PS goat milk makes the best hot coco you will every taste ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Too funny, nightshade, I do a lot of the same things. Most of the same things. Including filtering some of the morning milk right into my mug for hot chocolate!

I got one of those coffee filters that is a very fine wire mesh, the kind with a basket/funnel thing that sits right on a mug. It sits on a canning jar, too, and will sit on the glass quart juice bottles I store in the fridge if I balance it against the faucet. This is what I filter with. Works great!