Goat opinion needed!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My friend is looking for a goat.
Here’s what she’s found. What are your immediate thoughts? Guy says $250, probably bred, and throws twin girls. Also says she’s 4-5 years old and when lactating gives 1.5 gallons a day.

Something feels off to me, but I can’t place my finger exactly on it.
Is she a little skinny, are her eyes off, and does her back look more bowed that a 5 year old?

Attachments

• A7B61EA2-F101-4A4F-812B-E72DAF6C5D11.png
    A7B61EA2-F101-4A4F-812B-E72DAF6C5D11.png
    889.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 58C4A235-CE5E-4DE5-914C-4F37ADEE4AF0.png
    58C4A235-CE5E-4DE5-914C-4F37ADEE4AF0.png
    912.4 KB · Views: 96

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really hard to tell anything much from the pics. More than the pics I'd be asking questions like - has she been tested for diseases.

It's not terribly hard to get an idea on age from teeth. Google search can bring up pics.

She doesn't have the straightest topline for sure, but the little dip in her chine doesn't bother me that much. And a little extra weight wouldn't hurt - but she is a dairy goat. I can't really get a feel for her feet.

I think it's just a personal judgment call after seeing her in person and asking appropriate questions. :fl

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am NO expert on goats... but how long has it been since she kidded? There doesn't look like much of an udder there.... yes they do shrink up... BUT.... and "probably bred" ????? When was the last time she kidded ???
Sorry, I would pass on this one... as @frustratedearthmother said, what about vaccinations/health/testing for diseases....you're right; just feels off to me...but personal inspection will be alot better...

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I had my friend ask some questions and here’s what we got.

He dried her up in October, said most of his goats are done AI, so I don’t know if this one is or not.
Only Worms when in milk, and as needed. Vaccinated for tetanus and clolstridium perfengus. Sorry for the spelling on that one.
Guy Doesn’t care about lineage, breeds for production.

So, if it all works out we’re going to see her Saturday morning. I’m definitely going to check her teeth and feet and udder. Everything else too lol. Don’t know until you go and we’ll make a little day out of it.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, I don't think so at all, and in the end does it really matter what they think, you want to make sure your friend gets a healthy animal
Thank you.
I’m thinking I just want to double check she doesn’t have some sort of upper respiratory infection or anything.
I just haven’t bought livestock in a while, and never as the only one who knows what they’re doing. I don’t know what’s normal etiquette 🤣.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Etiquette is to personally check, handle, inquire and evaluate any animal you plan to buy. So long as you are respectful and polite, go for it! Heck, a p-strip could confirm preg status😁😁

Some dairy goats are hard to call fat....but, not being underfed is different. What date was she AI serviced? Ask. Otherwise, you'll be looking for such cover....another expense, if milking is the goal. Good hair coat, decent hooves, dates of shots, deworming, etc....shows apparent consistent care. Notice condition of other animals for similar.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Etiquette is to personally check, handle, inquire and evaluate any animal you plan to buy. So long as you are respectful and polite, go for it! Heck, a p-strip could confirm preg status😁😁

Some dairy goats are hard to call fat....but, not being underfed is different. What date was she AI serviced? Ask. Otherwise, you'll be looking for such cover....another expense, if milking is the goal. Good hair coat, decent hooves, dates of shots, deworming, etc....shows apparent consistent care. Notice condition of other animals for similar.
X 10.... If it was a cow I would ask all those same questions...and.... clear alert eyes, ears feel cool, no temperature... how does she walk....any lameness or anything.....
For being dried off in October, the udder looks awfully small to me. Especially at the age they claim... on cows they will dry up and shrink up some but if they have several lactations behind them, it doesn't shrivel up to tiny size.....
Hope the "trip" is a nice day for you regardless of what the outcome is on the goat... and if you both like it and decide to bring it home then I hope it is a real good trip....