Goat people - buckling has an eye issue

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Opi's little buckling was squinting yesterday so I picked him up.

He's keeping his left eye closed and when I opened it the "third eye lid" was about 1/2 way onto his eye and would move back in periodically. They eye itself wasn't red or cloudy that I could see, but it was watery. He's acting fine with no temp - just favoring that side since he can't really see from keeping his eye closed.

I thought of an inverted eye lid, but everything that I've read doesn't match what I'm seeing. It doesn't look like pink eye, but then again, what do I know.

I called the vet this morning and am going to pick up some ointment but does anyone have any other ideas? I'm guessing it's a hay sticker at the moment and can further investigate this afternoon. The plan is to flush it out, see if there's anything in there and put the ointment in it 3xday for 48 hours. If there's an improvement, do the ointment for another 48 hours. If no improvement, he's gotta go in to see the vet. I told her I had LA200 on hand as well as the people version of bacitration but she said the LA200 was a little harsh to use at this time and the people version may contain extra carriers that could harm his eye.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd flush it well in bright light with a helper first. Probably a bit of hay or something. Pull the lids way out so you can see inside. I keep a bottle of gentle sterile saline (for rinsing contact lenses) in my med cabinet for this purpose....you can flush wounds, too, although since not having horses anymore I haven't had to use it.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Luckily I wear contacts so that part is covered. I'm assuming if it were something worse he'd be more off, though. I'm trying not to overreact....especially since he's technically not MINE and only staying until he's weaned....and because of the recent horrible thing that happened....I'm now not so cool about stuff.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would think getting the eye ointment in his eye should do the trick. I had 2 little guys with runny eyes. Couldn't find anything. Just put the eye ointment in their eyes 3 times a day for a few days and it all cleared up. I can only guess that something was in there that irritated it.