goat people-i have a question

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok so i have a young billy, his mom was a purebred nubian, and his dad was a purebred boar. he has always had a big belly. but he looks like he is about to drop babies! his belly is huge. i have kept up on wormings. they get free choice hay 24/7, and cracked corn and goat pellits in the morning. i put out 1 - 3 lb coffee can of the grain 50/50 mixed for 2 boar/nubian mix and 2 pygmys. is it just him or do you think i should worry? he is very happy and healthy otherwise. but i had a random lady stop this evening and say he doesnt look right. she lives in town and doesnt have goats but it botherd me.

thanks.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Having a fecal run would be my first suggestion - short of that - pull down his lower eyelid and check his color. If he's nice and pink you might be alright, but if he's real pale he could be carrying a heavy parasite load despite wormings.

What does his hair coat look like? Is he slick? Is his hair rough? Is his big belly equal on both sides? If he's eating a lot of roughage you'll see a big rumen, and there's nothing wrong with that. But, if he's "huge" on that left side and is obviously uncomfortable you could be dealing with bloat.

Goats are pretty good at hiding a little problem until it becomes a big problem. I know I didn't answer your question, but hopefully I've mentioned a few things you can consider.

Good luck with him.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
his color is good. his hair is slick. it is the same on both sides- i have delt with bloat and it isnt that.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
he is the one on the far right side walking away.
4137_20121010144540.jpg

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks fine to me too, larger rumen but woudlnt say he looks fat orod, probably just a hefty boy, boers are hefty anyway and combined with a good healthy rumen, i woudnt be worried as long as his color is good.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have never owned a Boer, I always had dairy goats- however, ALL of the Boer goats i've seen (a few neighbors own Boers) had VERY large bellies, I even mistook a buck for an overly pregnant doe lol But they were all big on the bottom of their bellies, like yours (only WAY bigger!) and not full on top, like if a goat was bloating (you know how they get hard, full, and tight on the top of their bellies).

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks everyone! i feel better. he is always so happy, he jumps up on me and if i sit on their shelter, he comes and lays in my lap. lol