GOAT PEOPLE!! I need you!!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ya'll are so handy!!! :D

Just found a la mancha/saanan mix for $200 locally. In milk, recently 1st time momma. Says she's milking about a gallon a day. And this is by far the best price I have found so far around here. Watcha think??

Also remind me of all of the things I need to look for/ask the breeder. :bow
hand milker, good size/clean udders, visible signs of sickness. That's about where my knowledge list ends right now. We're going to go look at her tommorrow! Please and thank u BUNCHES!!! :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Free of TB and brucellosis. CAE negative if it matters to you. Check udder atachments, need to be good attachments, and check the orifices too. Small orifices will take longer to milk out. Ask about her feed. May need to phase out to what you will be feeding. that's all I can think of. Gallon a day, $200, you darn right I'd get her if she checks out!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look for any lumps on her body. If she has lumps, she may have CL and you don't want that on your farm.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ummm, how big should an orifice be?? :lol: Sorry. Not a question I thought I would be asking today. But seriously, how big.

And what is CL??

I'm such a newbie!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Kala said:
Ummm, how big should an orifice be?? :lol: Sorry. Not a question I thought I would be asking today. But seriously, how big.

And what is CL??

I'm such a newbie!!
Large enough that the milk comes out in a steady stream. Only reason I know is I had a doe before, meat type, that had really bad ones, barely a drip, NO IDEA how the kid survived... and I quit even trying to milk her. She is why I got rid of my first goats and waited to find some milk goats instead. :) I saw the thing about orifices on fiascofarms website. Small ones tend to be inherited I think it said. :hu I wouldn't want to take 3 hours to get that gallon of milk, so thought I'd mention it ;)

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good to know!! I'd rather find out now if possible than the hard, milkless way!! :lol:

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I feel much more prepared. I'm glad you think the price is good too wannabefree! We (read I) have been looking around for awhile and this is the def the best I've found so far so I'm kinda excited!!

*Clear head, Kala. Keep a clear head*
yea right!!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I would ask if you can milk her when you go see her. It's good to know if she's a good girl on the milkstand or a kicker. I'd ask to see their other goats too to see how they look.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I would ask if you can milk her when you go see her. It's good to know if she's a good girl on the milkstand or a kicker. I'd ask to see their other goats too to see how they look.
X2. Look at the rest of their herd (as well as give her a really really good look over) and make a judgement call from there.