.......goat questions.....

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay okay, the breeder down the street, an aquantance of mine, is selling Nigerian Dwarf goats. She shows and breeds them and we stopped by today to see the baby goats(she has 17).

I like the look and temperment of her goats, I've tasted the milk before..

Any input on Nigerian Dwarfs?

All her does have had twins except one, who had triplets.

*innocent whistle*

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Any input on Nigerian Dwarfs?
Are you looking for any specific info? I have 3 and really like them. Nice size, nice temperament, nice manageable amount of milk.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Depends on your personality, too. I had one dairy goat who gave 3 quarts a day consistantly, peaked at a bit over a gallon. I milked her for a year and could've kept going.

It wasn't enough milk. I love making cheese, kefir, yogurt, cream soups, pudding, and drinking it by the pint!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I slept on it for a few days((and got away from those sinfully cute Nigerian Dwarf kids)) and came to the realization that I think a small dairy breed cow is more well suited for what I want.

I've always wanted a Jersey cow, so I think I will just try to hold off for now. Which is going to be hard, but we have a large problem with dogs and goats are quite a bit more vulnerable than cows. Also, the other perk of having a dairy cow is having beef. :lol:

I think with the two horses and the dog situation, and the want and need to have "lots and lots" of butter, it just seems a Jersey is more up our alley. Even though those goats are super cute. LOL!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
NEVER look at live, pip-poppin' baby goats if you don't want one, or a dozen! Oh, would I ever love a sweet little Jersey cow! My heart goes pitter-pat whenever I see a picture of one. I would NEVER go look at a little baby heifer....Especially if it would fit into the back seat of my car.... :lol:

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
NEVER look at live, pip-poppin' baby goats if you don't want one, or a dozen! Oh, would I ever love a sweet little Jersey cow! My heart goes pitter-pat whenever I see a picture of one. I would NEVER go look at a little baby heifer....Especially if it would fit into the back seat of my car.... :lol:
Oh I know!! They were the size of lap dogs and you would just pick them up and they would "meh" like a little stuffed animal. Oh my goodness, they were adoreable.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a Jersey. Her name was Daisy May. She was really old and didn't have any teeth left and had an angus cross bull calf by her side when I got her at a cattle auction for $500. She only had one horn and was kinda bug-eyed. She was the biggest sweetest feed hogging pet. I milked her for a while. I had her for several years when she finally got where she could barely get up and down and she finally died of old age. I had pics of the kids sitting on her back. She would stand to be milked as long as she had feed, but her favorite thing to do was lick you while you were milking her like you were her calf. Cow kisses. She was precious. One of those sweet eyed useless old animals that you can't bear to part with. I would definately recommend a Jersey to anyone with the room. If I had the room and the money i would get one again, but I guess I will have to be happy with a goat if I ever get one again.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I had a Jersey. Her name was Daisy May. She was really old and didn't have any teeth left and had an angus cross bull calf by her side when I got her at a cattle auction for $500. She only had one horn and was kinda bug-eyed. She was the biggest sweetest feed hogging pet. I milked her for a while. I had her for several years when she finally got where she could barely get up and down and she finally died of old age. I had pics of the kids sitting on her back. She would stand to be milked as long as she had feed, but her favorite thing to do was lick you while you were milking her like you were her calf. Cow kisses. She was precious. One of those sweet eyed useless old animals that you can't bear to part with. I would definately recommend a Jersey to anyone with the room. If I had the room and the money i would get one again, but I guess I will have to be happy with a goat if I ever get one again.
This seems to be the normal Jersey cow temperment from what I've read and heard. This is more of the type of animal I would like, sweet, laid back, and boring. LOL Sometimes goats are just too smart for their own good and like to keep their owners on their toes.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Today, I picked up Clyde, he made a cute little 'moan' like sound, perfectly content, and nuzzled my neck. The he stuck his tiny nose to mine and just stared at me. I kissed his head and he put his chin on my shoulder.....such a sweetie!!

My Bonnie likes to come up and lean on me when I'm sitting on the ground. They are just too darn cute to hate!! I didn't think I'd like goats, but these 2 have stolen my heart. Whether they produce babies together or not, or if Bonnie doesn't give a drop of milk, I'll keep them around for snuggles and entertainment. :love

I'm thinking of going on the Rare Breed Concervancy and looking for a small, old breed of cow. I don't need a monstrous thing, but a small heritage breed would be neat.