Goat with clumpy poo question

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the girls has mildly clumpy poo this morning. It's either from the small amount of grain or the browse they had yesterday. Here's what I've been feeding - free choice hay, minerals, and baking soda. Afternoon "snack" supplement of 1/4 c. kelp meal, 1/4 c. grain, 1Tb BOSS, and a tsp of herbal digestive support from FIR Meadow Herbals. Took them out to browse for about 30 minutes - all stuff they had on their other pasture except for sunflowers.
They are bred, wormed with Ivomec on Saturday - breeder said barberpole. They are a bit thin and coats a rougher than I think they should be. Their eyelids are light pink still, so I'm checking them daily.

I'm thinking I need to cut the grain, maybe not let them browse today and probios are in order. Thoughts?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Is the grain new? Back off on anything you introduced that is new for now. But they can get a little clumpy after worming, while expelling the worms.

I only grain the ones who need it for one reason or another. If someone needs to catch up (growing youngsters after weaning, but only if needed) or someone is preggers or lactating. Otherwise, no grain.

It'll take a few days for the eyelids to darken up. Sounds like it was the worming, to me. They should be fine. Hay, hay, and more hay! You might also remove the baking soda so they eat more minerals, which they need right now. I removed the bs because some were eating it for the salt rather than the minerals and I ended up with some copper deficiency in a couple of my gals. After a hot summer with their loose minerals as the only salt source, they all darkened up.

Except Mya, who got all copper deficient again after her episode with barberpole and neighbors feeding bread over the fence. Sheesh. Goats!

I keep a box of baking soda nearby and offer it by hand to anyone who might need it, but it is rare. I've also put a little pile on a clean spot when I was unsure, for a day of free-choice. But I don't leave a bin of it for them anymore.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool, sounds like I'm on the right track. No grain for awhile then, no problem. I'm not thrilled with what I have anyway. I want to do more like what you do with the sprouting but I'll wait till later in gestation. They are chowing the minerals down, it was the first thing they chose to eat here. The thinner one is my chowhound.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is probably a combination of worming and new type of hay/browse. Sounds like you have things under control.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everything is fine today and they seem livelier. Hope that's a sign of the worm load going down. I have to give them their second dose of Ivermectin in a few days.