Goats for Self-Sufficiency

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I didn't even think about pack goat/ service animal! That's one of the reasons I started this thread- as a way to exchange ideas. I have a big ol' Nubian buck that is a total baby. I'll bet he could carry quite a bit of weight if ever needed.

Thanks for giving me another idea about how goats can help us out!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a guy contact me from Craigslist. I had a doe offered for sale and he just wanted to know if I had ANY goats milk for his orphaned litter of Rottweilers and he was willing to pay good money!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup! I got a phone call the other night from someone who had 2 rottie pups who were rejected by mom and he needed milk! I don't have any, unfortunately lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that people are renting out their goats to clear land for people. There is another potential income stream ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday in NH- the Farmington police department was called to assist with a goat escape! 6 goats that were being leased to the town to clean up some brush had escaped! The police rounded them up, and a local grabbed some snacks and led the goats (who cooperated quite nicely once the food arrived) back to their fence. No word on whether they stayed that time.

Lesson- only lease goats for brush clearing if you have adequate portable fencing!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well you can eat any goat, and you can milk any goat. The question is finding one that you can live with for both, because you will sacrifice something on one end or the other (or both) by having dual purpose animals. But there are plenty of goat folks on here to help you sort through breeds when you're ready!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's interesting and good to know FEM!