sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's good info, thanks!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I don't know HOW I missed this thread !! :ep

I have often said if the SHTF I could survive with a couple chickens, goats and a garden. My goats are wonderful as producers and friends. They can/will do all the things mentioned and yes, I do make soaps...use it every day and sell some. Used to go to town fairs, etc, and got away from it when life brought changes to my time demands. Plan to go back into that this coming year.

My herd is now dairy, mostly Saanen, some Nubian cross.
In '93 I brought first known Boers into VA. Never regretted it and those were the days when they cost thousands! Money was returned via their kids. Now, I can buy a nice Boer buck, registered and great lines for $3-600. They can be large but mine were very tame, like most goats if you handle them a little. Here's one of my past bucks...9 mos old ... one of my current Saanen does & 12 hr old kids...
IMG_20160830_0001_NEW.jpg

This get back to the type of goat and their uses. These dairy animals put all they have into milk! Some will be heavier in body but most are thinner. Look at the depth of body on that Boer buck. Does are smaller but, still the shorter leg and heavier body. They produce rich milk as those kids grow huge! They can be milked. But, the dairy doe will milk for a longer time at a higher rate. Some of my Saanens can "milk thru" and produce 3/4 gal a day at 14-16 months of lactation, after being at 1-1 1/4 gal at start. The produce enough and are large enough in body to carry and raise a Boer kid.

Since my herd is all dairy and my buck a huge Nubian, I am looking to buy a Boer buck just to freshen does. The kids are normally sold at a few months old -- income. Most are going to be for a butcher. It brings more $$ per kid as the Boer kids are bulkier. It brings the doe to milk. Each of us need to decide what we want to do and how we can accomplish that. For me, goats are easy to handle and great for the pastures and forage I have. I do have access to a Saanen buck for servicing my does when I want dairy -- several of my does are daughters to my Nubian buck. Personally, I like the Saanen milk better. Do have does not related to my Mr B....some are mini-nubs, as is he according to registration but, he sure isn't "mini" to me.

Attachments

• image620151.jpg
    image620151.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 293