Goat's milk farmer cheese 201

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good morning all,

So, I have been making goat's milk cheese for a bit now. I make it the simple way, heat, add lemon juice, strain the curds out. It come out really good.

However, my friend is wondering why my cheese is not as strong tasting as the goat cheese you get in the store. :hu I have no idea why, so I figured I'd ask you knowledgeable folk. I wouldn't mind making a stronger cheese...don't have much advanced experience with cheese(beyond the simple stuff I make now).

Any ideas for me?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:caf

I have been making farmer's cheese too, but I don't know how it compares to store-bought. I've been very happy with mine. But the goat cheese you buy in a store is probably not farmer's cheese, but made with rennet.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
easy peasy! check it out:

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-fresh-goat-cheese-chevre.html

and yep you use rennet and a culture to get that cheesey-liciousness.

i've got some straining right now and we use it for everything. i especially love it in pasta (ad a scoop into a hot bowl of whatever pasta+sauce) or in enchiladas or nachos.... or any of the savory dishes. i dont like it in the sweet dishes but i'm wondering if i use the lemon juice method if it would be milder for a cheesecake???

happy cheesing!
:)