Goats seem to be drying up-Could it be the heat?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Both of our goats seem to be drying up. Over the last couple of weeks their amounts have fluctuated but tonight they both only did about half a quart. Normally do about 3 times that each at least. We started them on kopsel about the same time and both their conditions and coats seemed to improve. That is the only change. Free choice mineral, baking soda, water that is changed several times a day. Feed (hay and grain) has not changed. No visible parasites but I really need to get the equipment to do my own fecals. Could it possibly be the heat? We've had an unusually warm summer so far.

Any thoughts?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My doe's production has only gone down about 1/2 cup to one cup per liking--nothing major, but I have had to hose her off every morning and night since our paddock is a mud bog--she does not like that. And I just noticed she has worms, so..... What kid of wormer do I give her while she is in milk? I am going to TSC in the states tomorrow, so what should i pick up?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My doe's production has only gone down about 1/2 cup to one cup per liking--nothing major, but I have had to hose her off every morning and night since our paddock is a mud bog--she does not like that. And I just noticed she has worms, so..... What kid of wormer do I give her while she is in milk? I am going to TSC in the states tomorrow, so what should i pick up?
I've been using herbal wormers to date. From what I've read you don't have to dump milk while using an herbal wormer. But I'm not sure that herbals cover all parasites and sometimes you have to pull out the really big guns for a bad worm problem. But I haven't had to do that thus far, so I'm not real sure about other wormers.

I've heard the name ivomec thrown around alot though...:hu

ETA: I've found it tricky to get info/meds for goats sometimes. Most stores like TSC, vets etc specialize in horses and cows. I guess b/c they're more popular? Not sure. I've seen a lot of people talk about having to use meds meant for others critters and just cut the dose. But I think some meds are meant for that? IDK. I'm still a newbie to all of this, just my experience thus far. :cool: I still need to try and find a local vet that has some knowledge on goats.

Have fun at TSC!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use herbals and will do a double dose for three days if I feel one needs it....Mya usually does. I use Ivomec as needed.....used it twice so far. Get the injectable but use it orally. Are you familiar with FAMACHA? This is the time of year for worms. Also, keeping baking soda out free choice will reduce mineral intake, because it is salty and salt is used in the minerals to get them to eat it, so you might want to remove that baking soda.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine have gone down by about half too, but they did that as soon as the temps shot up last month. They also just had their first heat this week, so that seemed to affect them for a couple days.