Goats

cadams

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you were going to get goats for meat which breed would you choose? I don't plan on getting milkers but have people ask if I had any meat goats. boars are out of my price range .

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would have said Boers. They are the main meat goat. What about looking on Craigslist or something. You could probably find a bargain.

I found a Boer doe with a doeling nursing on her for $100. And I mean that both of them together were $100. They were both very healthy and I had the doe tested for all the goat diseases and she came back negative. MInd you, the doe has poor udder attachment and is 5 years old and has been overbred. But for personal meat, I didn't feel that that would matter. She and her doeling are doing great and will be bred to our Nigerian Dwarf males. I'm just looking for meat for ourselves and not to start a mini Boer or breed registered Boers.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
From looking on the livestock section in our Kijiji, it doesn't seem boers are any more, if not less than other goats. I don't understand how they would be out of the price range? they don't need to be papered or anything, do they?

Boers are definitely the choice for meat goats, and there temperament is so laid back compared to some other breeds.--therefore much easier to handle. IMO

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
If you want a good meat goat, get a boer cross. My favorite goat is 3/4 boer and 1/4 nubian. She's big, a good mother, is fun and easy to handle.
There are a lot of partbreds out there that will probably be more disease resistant and produce bigger babies than full bloods or purebreds at a much lower price.
I would try a kiko-boer mix if there was one to be found here.
You could always get a nice grade goat with good qualities and breed her to a boer- an inexpensivbe way to build up your herd.
I actually gave away high percentage doelings for a couple of years. So there are good opportunities out there. You could even start with bummers if you have the time and a cheap milk source.

But for meat- it's the quality of the doe and the speed at which the kids put on weight that will give you the most bang for the buck (pun.) And half to three quarter breds will to that fairly inexpensively.

I forgot- a good cheap goat meat thing would be to buy bucklings from a dairy- they are really cheap as they are not of much use to a dairy. You just have to bottle feed them.

cadams

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I found boer, spanish, numbian(sp) crosses for 40 each.