Goats

cadams

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Twenty does ,three with triplets, and a boar /nubeian(sp) billy. still haggling on the price. Kick myself for not taking pic's but will and will post them. I'm excited to be able to clear the creek and fence line on my lease land.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats a nice size herd,Cadams,
How much land are you wanting to clear, with that many goats,they will be able to clear alot of land, pretty fast.

You could always sell the babes, and make some of your money back, or when you have your land cleared rent out the herd to others as land clearers. Believe it or not we have people here that do just that, it is very popular on the coast as there are lots of berry bushes and goats love to eat thorny things.

So good luck and enoy your goaties.

cadams

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The first place is a fifty acres, coastal bermuda not hayed in a couple of years fence all grown up old house that kids ripped all the copper out and took all the window frames out of to sell for scrap when prices were so high. The only thing it's worth for now is a chicken house and goat shed. Never thought about renting them though. Very Good Idea! thank you. The second place is a thirty acre creek bottom with morels. but thick enough it's difficult to get to the srooms.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm morels

your lucky,
get the goats to clear that space and then go srooming!!

I wonder if goats will get srooms hmmmmm

anyone know?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
deb4o said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm morels

your lucky,
get the goats to clear that space and then go srooming!!

I wonder if goats will get srooms hmmmmm

anyone know?
Just make sure the goats don't graze in tht area in the spring when the shrooms are growing. Mmmmmmm... morels :drool

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm just curious, what do you need for fencing for your goats?

I've heard a regular electric fence doesn't work that great because they're too stupid and don't learn to respect it. They'll just keep trying to get through.

Is this correct?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the term stupid; maybe ambitious though. They are brighter than you would think.

I would guess it would depend on what kind of electric fencing you are using and what voltage. All of our goats that we have on pasture have learned to respect our single strand hotwire set at thigh level.

854_004.jpg

854_002.jpg

Not my herd, but a herd of meat goats used for brush clearing near my home. Thoroughly enjoyed human contact and all gathered around while still standing clear of the fence.

That said this herd was primarily does with young kids, any bucklings were too young to breed.

If you had a male separated by this electric fence within hearing, smelling, or seeing distance of a doe, and either of them in season, no way would it hold them.

Congratulations on your new herd Cadams!