Going Greener on Valentine's Day

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think I understand you. My knee-jerk reaction is to abhor commercial holidays--all of them--until I honestly stop to consider how much I do for V-day! But, it's almost all homemade, so take that, Hallmark and Nestle!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I already got my Valentine gift. It's a potted Hyacinth that I get to plant this spring. :) I've never had one, always wanted some, so DH got me one.

I don't do anything for my kids for V-Day as it is supposed to be a holiday for Lovers/Sweethearts/Couples etc. I don't think kids need to celebrate a romance.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I don't do anything for my kids for V-Day as it is supposed to be a holiday for Lovers/Sweethearts/Couples etc. I don't think kids need to celebrate a romance.
One of my fondest memories growing up is my mom having special treats for us on V-day, like a mini tin of chocolates in our lunchbox. It's a beautiful tradition I want to pass on to my kids :) I don't know much about the original intent, but I guess I've always lived outside the box anyway and don't much care.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The schools have always had valentine's parties in every class since I can remember.
Charlie Brown's Valentine has been on each year since I was a kid.
Our town also has a valentine's party at one of the churchs.
So the children are exposed to it, they will gain some understanding of it and I don't think it hurts to include them if it makes their day a little nicer and this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like the holiday.
You can celebrate love without celebrating romance.
Holidays are for whoever wants to celebrate them in whatever way they choose.
Christmas is celebrated thousands of different ways and none are wrong.
One of the problems I have always had with this holiday is that it can make lonely people feel even more lonely when they have these commercials and store displays shoved down their throat.
Obviously I can't do anything about that but if it puts a smile on a child's face to get a tin of chocolates and makes them feel special then Happy Valentine's Day!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
the simple life said:
You can celebrate love without celebrating romance.
I agree with this statement! And I celebrate love with my children everyday, so we don't need a special day to do it. I celebrate it with them when I'm cooking their meals, kissing their boo-boo's, holding them tight after they've had a scary dream, when I give them a fresh clean shirt to wear, when I take them outside and we play or we do the chickening together, when we sit down and do schoolwork, when they are going to bed and I tuck them in, etc.

When V-day gets here it will pass just like any other day, with farm work and laughter..but not with chocolates or candy or anything else.

I guess we really only celebrate two holida ys here, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Shoot, most years our Anniversary passes without more than a "Happy Anniversary, hon, I love you." :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I already got my Valentine gift. It's a potted Hyacinth that I get to plant this spring. :) I've never had one, always wanted some, so DH got me one.
I bet that smells fantastic! I haven't planted many bulb plants due to our large squirrel and deer populations. I do have some hardware cloth leftover from the coop to protect a small amount so I might ask DH for one of those hyacinths for Valentine's Day. He's not a card buyer and I don't value cards anyways, it is just a waste of money.
I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
sylvie said:
I bet that smells fantastic!
Oh it does!

sylvie said:
I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea!
It wasn't my idea, so nope I don't mind one bit! DH surprised me with it!

me&thegals

Reaction score
That is wonderful! I can almost smell it :) My husband got me an orchid 2 years ago, and that wonderful thing stays alive and blooms again every Jan/Feb, like this eternal, SS V-day gift!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We celebrate as a family...usually a nice kid friendly meal, candles and I decorate the table with V-Day decor (which I re-use year after year)
Everyone usually gets chocolate and the kids all hand make cards.

I did purchase cards for my 1st grader to pass out at her class party, but other than that, I am not buying any cards. I will look for fair trade organic chocolate this year. Loved the little video clip :)