Going in a New Direction - Ideas Anyone?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We homeschooled our kids for many years. The last year and a half, they've been enrolled in K-12. That won't be available in the area we are moving to, so we need to start over.

Of course, we gave away all of our homeschool supplies, just about two weeks before we discovered that K-12 wasn't available in the new area. So we need to start over.

The major problem subject is Math. Kevin and I don't remember more than basic Algebra, so we need a curriculum for math that allows the kids to learn it without Kevin and I having to know more than they do.

We can do History, Science, Literature, Civics, English, Reading, etc, through any number of methods, and feel very competent to handle it at any level. Math has just got us stumped.

We used Saxon before, but had problems with it with some of our kids. I'd use it again for about the first 3 levels, but do not want to use it for Algebra or Geometry.

I really like a more practical approach to math than I usually see. Most math books are strong on drill, but very weak on practical application. So far I've NEVER seen an Algebra curriculum that used ANY kind of practical application. It is all just pure formula and equation, with no real life use at all.

This is for high school level math.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
We homeschooled our kids for many years. The last year and a half, they've been enrolled in K-12. That won't be available in the area we are moving to, so we need to start over.

Of course, we gave away all of our homeschool supplies, just about two weeks before we discovered that K-12 wasn't available in the new area. So we need to start over.

The major problem subject is Math. Kevin and I don't remember more than basic Algebra, so we need a curriculum for math that allows the kids to learn it without Kevin and I having to know more than they do.

We can do History, Science, Literature, Civics, English, Reading, etc, through any number of methods, and feel very competent to handle it at any level. Math has just got us stumped.

We used Saxon before, but had problems with it with some of our kids. I'd use it again for about the first 3 levels, but do not want to use it for Algebra or Geometry.

I really like a more practical approach to math than I usually see. Most math books are strong on drill, but very weak on practical application. So far I've NEVER seen an Algebra curriculum that used ANY kind of practical application. It is all just pure formula and equation, with no real life use at all.

The Mat-U See program is getting rave reviews in our area.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using that with upper grades? Looks like the manipulatives give out right about the point where we need to dive in. They do have DVDs, but not sure they'd be effective?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Drilling is really essential to learning math. Even my college professors would say that. Most people stop when they begin to understand it. That is when they need to start drilling!

But application is important also - especially to keep kid's attention. Maybe get a book that is heavy on drilling - like Saxon - and supplement it with real world applications.

Geometry - making quilt patterns, making clothing patterns, MAKING A TENT (for reals, this is crazy hard to make a pattern if you don't get the geometry). How much bigger is a 12" pizza than a 14" pizza? I have a recipe for a 12" pizza, how do I make it into a recipe for 14" pizza?

Algebra - Play off your grocery reciepts. I bought 6 items that cost $1 each, but my bill was for $14. How much did the 7th item cost? The item was $5 after 10% off - what was the original price?

Getting stuck on application? Have THEM figure out how they could apply it. :cool:

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess part of the thing with math is that I don't WANT to have to think!

See, I have to come up with the lessons in science, history, and English. I am also responsible for the planning and scheduling for the farm, and for troubleshooting any website coding or server problems our clients are having. I don't have enough brain power left over to figure out clever things for math.

I make the kids calculate recipes and work out pieces for building things. Beyond that, my creativity is already tapped out. No more to go around!

I know that drilling provides necessary practice. We just need something that gives some kind of real life applications for everything, and gives them as much practice on applying it as it does on knowing how to do it. Especially with the higher math. I mean, really, does ANYONE in this country other than engineers know what practical use Algebra is to anyone? EVERYONE I know took it in highschool and promptly forgot it, never once used it in life.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
I have a friend who teaches high school math. If you like, I'd be happy to ask him for ideas.

eta: I use algebra a LOT. I cook. I sew. I am going to start knitting.

I imagine I'll use it as a nurse aid too. Basic maths are important.

However, normal life, counting is more important than higher math.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Anyone have any experience using that with upper grades? Looks like the manipulatives give out right about the point where we need to dive in. They do have DVDs, but not sure they'd be effective?
My sil uses it, and her oldest is 15.
I can ask around for more info.

Latest posts