Going into dept for solar panels

HeidiEmbrey

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We're actually going to ask about this today!
I don't think there's anything illegal about using power directly from your source (wind,solar, generator etc), but I'm not sure on the logistics.
oh yes there is..here in Florida there is and watch them because they will try to trick you into thinking there isn't with tricky wording. http://citizensforpreservingnaples....lip-on-solar-panels-but-got-hit-with-sick-law
We're actually going to ask about this today!
I don't think there's anything illegal about using power directly from your source (wind,solar, generator etc), but I'm not sure on the logistics.

There is a law against using your power from its source In Florida anyway, you MUST power down here in Florida when the rest of the grid goes down. They don't tell people that though ..they also don't tell them what they get back from the electric corporation will be credit to buy more power not cash.
First they did this http://www.collective-evolution.com...mes-must-be-connected-to-an-electricity-grid/

Then this. https://interestingengineering.com/...ng-solar-power-in-aftermath-of-hurricane-irma

https://conservativetribune.com/irma-victims-solar-panels-sick-law/

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@HeidiEmbrey, welcome to the forum! This is very interesting (I'm being polite now), these laws and loop holes and thou shall nots that comes with trying to be a bit more self-reliant in some parts of the States… I said to a friend yesterday I read about it being agains the law to grow your own veg in some places, against the law to collect rain water, agains the law to keep a few hens in many places :\ It's all about the mighty $$ nowadays. And control.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry @HeidiEmbrey , I was just referring to where I live which is not in Florida. But I'm sure that will be great info for someone.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Having built and worked on 5 solar farms now...I'd like to just say...I don't recommend it. The end result is generally more trouble than it's worth still for residential use unless you get some deep deep discounts and almost completely DIY the project, which CAN be done, but doesn't sound like what you're planning.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Having built and worked on 5 solar farms now...I'd like to just say...I don't recommend it. The end result is generally more trouble than it's worth still for residential use unless you get some deep deep discounts and almost completely DIY the project, which CAN be done, but doesn't sound like what you're planning.

No, it's not discounts we're getting but a long term fixed price on the electricity we sell to the grid. So the panels will pay off the loan by itself and then it's just profit for us afterwards.

But what kind of trouble have you run into for residential? (outbuilding roof install)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
There is potential for a lot of storm damage, which if you have a good warranty is fine, IF you aren't out labor for replacement. Panels are still very delicate. I've done a ton of punch out on solar farms that were installed months previously because of broken and damaged panels or warped racks. Some was simply from wind damage, some hail pings, some just various objects crack or shatter whole panels. It really doesn't take much pressure to shatter one either like you might think. Then there's wiring...which is a whole different ballgame, with lots of other options of potential damage. I just personally wouldn't do it without extensive knowledge of wiring and install and maintenance.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @Wannabefree

The panels have warranty (25yrs) and we'll have insurance as well. I don't remember the details off hand but will review them before signing anything, thanks for reminding me.