Going Sugarless

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So. I hate having to buy sugar all the time, and I know it's bad for a body (especially as I have quite a sweet tooth).

Seeing as I'm trying to lose about 30 kilos (over time; my goal right now is trying to lose a least 4 or 5 kilos by the next blood donation in a few months) I'm looking for recipes that replace the regular sugar in...well, just about everything. I can use honey, I can use molasses, and/or golden syrup, but I don't dig the artificial sweetener things though, so splenda and whatnot are out.

Any help and suggestions are welcome. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
So. I hate having to buy sugar all the time, and I know it's bad for a body (especially as I have quite a sweet tooth).

Seeing as I'm trying to lose about 30 kilos (over time; my goal right now is trying to lose a least 4 or 5 kilos by the next blood donation in a few months) I'm looking for recipes that replace the regular sugar in...well, just about everything. I can use honey, I can use molasses, and/or golden syrup, but I don't dig the artificial sweetener things though, so splenda and whatnot are out.

Any help and suggestions are welcome. :)
Nix the molasses and golden syrup too, and go for true all natural sweeteners. Raw honey, maple syrup and true raw sugars (sucanat or rapadura) for very special things.

I use honey in place of sugar for just about anything. The black bean chocolate cake that floats around here, is a cake that uses honey with great success.

ETA true raw honey does not jump into the blood stream that way all other sweeteners do. The molasses and golden syrup are by products, and have an even higher calorie and carb count then sugar does.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you really want to lose the weight, you have to cut your carbohydrate intake down to less than 50g/day. Not just switch one form of carbs (sugar) for another (honey).

Anything that rapidly converts to sugars during digestion also counts as sugar. That includes bread, potatoes, rice, etc...

If you go to www.fitday.com you can track how many carbs you are actually eating in a day. Keep in mind every 50g of carbs = 1/4 cup of sugar.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was going to suggest Splenda so I don't really have much else to say. :idunno

I do agree with Wifey though. I am back in low carb mode. doing really well since early May. But I am using Splenda.

good luck with whatever you try.

g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go cold turkey, do a cleanse (lots and lots of LGI veggies and just a little fruit for a day or two or three, then add high quality saturated fats and some high quality protein back into your diet...NO sugar in any form and no white flour) for a week at least, two is better....and your taste for sweets will drop dramatically. If you can go 6 weeks without sugar (including artificial sweeteners) your tolerance for sweet stuff will plummet and the temptation will be gone. For good, if you don't work your way back into it.

Then if you add a teaspoon of honey (measuring teaspoon, not from your flatware drawer) to a big bowl of chevre, it will taste like candy to you.

And you will be thin and healthy.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. However, I suppose I didn't word it quite the way it should have been perhaps. I wanted to use a more natural sweetener (like honey), rather than the refined sugar typical baking recipes call for, because I can buy honey in bulk for 9 dollars a kilo. From what I understand, you can use less honey in recipes as opposed to sugar, so I was thinking it'd last me a while longer than regular sugar has been lasting. I guess somehow I thought the switch would be better for us in the long run, hence the weight thing.

And hence, me asking for recipes using honey as a substitution. :)