Gonna do my very first fecal this afternoon!!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
yay!! I got my microscope for Christmas, and my slides just came in the mail. I almost have everything I need. I made my flotation solution, I need a strainer, and something to become a test tube holder but I can pick up today since I have to go into town for a dentist appt. so,if all goes according to plan, (which I am finding out is not a given), I will be doing my first fecal today. funny I should be excited about this, huh? :p

If anyone has any good websites for identifying oocysts and worm eggs, please list them here. I have this one: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/fecal-float.html#roundworm-cat and http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/issues/83/83-5/Michele_Konnersman.html and this one: http://www.slideshare.net/schoenian/integrated-parasite-management-ipm-in-small-ruminants

I'll keep you posted, and to those of you who already do this, i may have some questions.
and if any of you have any questions, ask them here, so we can have all the info together.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm fortunate enough my neighbor does these so I don't have to. Science and determining other life forms was never a strong point of mine...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I want to hear all about it! I'm wanting to learn how to do my own fecals too, just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I could start doing them around here for people, and making some money.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, as expected, too many wrenches got thrown into my plans yesterday. It was valentines day, I had to bake when I got back home. Today is pretty packed, so it will definitely be tomorrow. I'm doing my cats first, as one (out of the 6 barn cats)has runny poo. I'll keep you posted.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Only people who are truly self-sufficient would be happy and excited about playing with poo! :gig :lol: Sorry I just got a giggle out of your thread title with all the exclamation points...

Let us know how it goes... If I get goats again this is something I defiantly want to learn to do! :clap

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is neat! If you have any questions I will be happy to help. I'm a veterinary technician and I plan on vet school as soon as the husband graduates from law school. Identifying things under a microscope is one of the few things I can say with absolute confidence I am highly qualified to do. :p

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Congrats on the new microscope.I bought one a few years ago,it is a high powered one,to do my own.I'm still learning and still figureing out what I'm looking at.I wanted to do my horses and the goat.I'm be looking forward to see how you do and learn some more.:)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You may want to get hold of a stain called Trichrome. You can find the procedure in any histochemistry book. Doing O&P on a weak solution is ok for some things but you may want to be certain and the Trichrome stain will give you a high degree of confidence.
I spent a year training as a histo-technologist prior to medical school. It is really fascinating work. Hope you do well.

Just as an aside, giving milk to cats will cause diarrhea, too! But if only one is sick, then the others won't be far behind. :sick

Latest posts