Good Deal on a 45 Watt Solar Kit

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You need to know how many watts it is. And, if it doesn't say, you multiply the volts by the amps. That will give you the wattage. (And, that's the end of my electric knowledge!)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
"AC" stands for alternating current. A pure sine wave inverter puts out cleaner (a more perfect sine wave) alternating current. Some sensitive electronics require the cleaner voltage. A laptop may need it, where an electric drill may not.

The 45w solar panels are a low cost way of charging a battery (or batteries) that would see low wattage or very intermittent use. They are not meant for use with appliances that draw large amounts of current, or any other heavy duty usage. For that type of solar charging system you need top be prepared to pay a lot more than the $200 neighborhood.

We use our 45w system for lights in a remote outbuilding, and occasionally to run a small fan. It was a lot cheaper than running power out to the shed.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia entry on Alternating Current. They can do a much better job of explaining things than I can. :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Here's a link to a Wikipedia entry on Alternating Current. They can do a much better job of explaining things than I can. :D
How come there's no smilie with crossed eyes? Cuz that's what happens when I read that stuff!! How about this one: :hu

Wish I knew an electrician...:/

Reginal

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Have fun with LITERALLY having 1 hour of laptop battery life. With those specs you definitely will. A 1GB graphics card is unprecedented on a laptop. My alienware m15x has a 1/2gb card. Also a quad processor is crazy. I thought you were talking about a desktop when I read this.:)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Anyone interested in getting one of these solar kits should check this month's issue of the NRA magazine "American Rifleman". There is a Harbor Freight ad with coupons, and one is for this kit at $150. Not a bad deal at all. I believe that the coupon is good through some time in April 2011.

If you don't have access to the magazine, there is currently are several of these coupons for sale on eBay for the kit. The lowest opening bid is $.99, and currently there is no bid. (Nope, I'm not affiliated with the seller, just passing along the info)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They also had the ad in November's (I think) Reader's Digest. My chiropractor let me tear it out of his waiting room copy. There was also a coupon for 20% off. I gave it to my hubby. So, as long as they let him use the coupon, he got it for $120! I already have an inverter and a battery, so now I just need to get it on my tack shed.