Good news or bad news?--I mastered my HM bread.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So, after playing around with it, I have mastered my homemade bread. We never really ate alot of bread here, but now that I have mastered it--my kids can't get enough of it.

So good news--it's great! Bad news--I'm going to have to be making alot of it now. :barnie

I made two loaves yesterday--done at 4pm, and they were finished by 9am.

I need to go out and get more loaf pans so I can make lots at the same time.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haha. That happens at my house, too. And I don't even exactly make home made bread. I use a bread machine. But they will blow through a loaf in an afternoon.

You can bet we never eat a loaf of store bought bread in one day, much less several hours. LOL

That's good stuff. :)

Cassandra

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You should try a recipe for Batter bread. It's a yeast bread, but you don't really knead it, so it takes less time. I think it's made with Condensed milk. I don't have my recipe with me, otherwise I'd give it to you. Pretty soon you'll get the hang of the bread deal and be able to whip it out in a jiffy. I recommend getting some Bread Machine yeast. The bread rises WAY faster.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am real lucky that we don't eat alot of bread.....cause I sure haven't mastered it....lol

You SS'd your way into more work.....more loaf pans to the rescue! :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You don't even have to use loaf pans. Just make loafs in baguette or boule shapes (like the fancy bread in the grocery store). Pizza stones work well for cooking these types of loafs, but a cookie sheet is good too. Or make rolls.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
You don't even have to use loaf pans. Just make loafs in baguette or boule shapes (like the fancy bread in the grocery store). Pizza stones work well for cooking these types of loafs, but a cookie sheet is good too. Or make rolls.
Another option (if you don't have a pizza stone) is to use the bottom saucer from a large clay pot (inverted). I have one that I use for bread and it is great. Let it preheat with your oven, dust with a little corn meal and plop your dough right on top. I learned this little frugal tip from Alton Brown :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me too! Hoorah for us! ... I haven't made any in a few days, but I made 2 loaves and they turned out great aside from being a bit small, which just means I need to sift the flour a bit more. My brother gets through a lot of bread, so being able to make it means we have it at all times.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's a good one!!! The Welsh actually bake bread in terra cotta pots. Old coffee cans work too, although they don't sell coffee in metal anymore. Technically, bread will bake in whatever shape you want. Doesn't matter one bit.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I only have one loaf pan. One of the two loaves I made yesterday I used a pizza stone for, but since I send sandwiches to school with the kids, I want the bread to fit in their containers. I find the loaf pans make the right shape for school sandwiches. I'll be going into the city on sunday for church,--so I can stop at a second hand store and pick up a few for cheap. Until then, one will be in a loaf pan, and I will experiment with shapes for the other loaf--maybe rolls or sub-buns--we'll see.......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace
I love Alton Brown
he has one of the most informative cooking shows I ever seen...that guy sure tells it all! and his tips are fab!

Latest posts