Good news or bad news?--I mastered my HM bread.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I only have one loaf pan. One of the two loaves I made yesterday I used a pizza stone for, but since I send sandwiches to school with the kids, I want the bread to fit in their containers. I find the loaf pans make the right shape for school sandwiches. I'll be going into the city on sunday for church,--so I can stop at a second hand store and pick up a few for cheap. Until then, one will be in a loaf pan, and I will experiment with shapes for the other loaf--maybe rolls or sub-buns--we'll see.......
Do you use the metal loaf pans? We have one but I don't like that I have to oil it :p So I've been using the 3 silicone ones we have, I don't have to oil and I just pop them out afterwards.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It's just a basic whole wheat recipe--what needed tweaking was the size for the loaves, how long to let it rise, what temp to bake it at so it doesn't get burnt, how long, --(oven came with the house, and it is not accurate in temp), water in the bottom of oven, and melting butter on top to get a soft crust. I just had to incorporate all the all have tips you all have shared here--to get a perfect loaf

So I guess--thanks to all of you who shared tips!!!!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have 2 metal pans but I prefer the glass pans to bake my bread in. I have a silicon pan too but have not used it yet ds#1 got a set for me for Christmas last yr.
I usually use my bread machine but dh prefers the shape in a pan & baked in the oven. So I do both which will be happening tomorrow as we are out again.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Dace
I love Alton Brown
he has one of the most informative cooking shows I ever seen...that guy sure tells it all! and his tips are fab!
Even my kids like to watch him.
I spent a year in culinary school and I can tell you the best thing about his show is that he explains why things do and don't work...once you understand the process then you are free to play with it and things will typically turn out great. Most people's 'flops' are really due to not having a good understanding of the method/process. He very nicely explains the science behind things and I think he is a huge plus to people who are learning how to cook!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know how I cured the "eating it before I even got it baked" syndrome in my family? Whoever consumes the most bread of each batch has to make the next one! My boys are very accomplished bread makers now....some of their's comes out much better than does mine! Of this they are very proud and will crow about ....but they do watch their consumption when the labor of bread has been performed by their own hands! :old :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace
wow, a year in culinary school. I know you are a good cook! I think everyone should have a year in school, LOL, just to learn the basics. Wouldn't hurt would it...at least for me..HA HA

yea I like that Alton tells you molecule by molecule what is happening...about why broiling some meats break down the molecules etc. etc.....with that knowledge one can really learn the ins and outs of meats and baking.....he taught all about angel food cakes...I had NO IDEA how intrique and why...LOL...I love his show Good Eats!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I just made four loaves--how do I wrap them, and if we go through approx one loaf a day, can I just leave them out or should I freeze some?

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was in Goodwill a long while back and I cam across two pans that looked like loaf pans. Well they were only $0.50 each so I got them. When I pulled them from the pile I noticed that they were adjustable. You could adjust the pan from 6 inches to 18 inches.

Not sure what they were previously used for, but now they are used for making bread. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Ok, I just made four loaves--how do I wrap them, and if we go through approx one loaf a day, can I just leave them out or should I freeze some?
We use gallon ziploc bags and freeze or refrigerate if we aren't going to eat them right away.

Latest posts