Good reference books and mags on the subject?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I let all my magazine subscriptions run out when we moved here. I was trying to get rid of clutter. I enjoyed curling up w/ a magazine as they come. But I know I can find the stuff online! :) I don't buy too many books anymore. It's easier to read online b/c I can tell the kids "I'm working" while I'm sneaking peaks at articles and forums and etc.! hehehe! If I'm curled up w/ a book or magazine they know I can put it down!

I still p/u a magazine once in awhile (maybe 2 a yr) if I have a long car ride, or a day at the hospital or Dr's appointments. My mom shares hers to me after she reads them (and her friend shares to her). We do the same with books. (also her coworkers share books w/ us, which reminds me I have one to get back to her)

I love book stores! I get a teacher's discount at some now (that I'm homeschooling) and that makes it more difficult for me to not buy any!!!! The discount is even on clearance books!!! I can always find something I "need" (not) at any bookstore!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A like minded friend and I split our magazine subscriptions and share them with one another. It works out great for us and I only store half of what I get to read!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I absolutely hate reading things online all the time. Give me a real book, or magazine, something I can bring with me wherever I want to read. We were just discussing this very thing last Friday at the library my mother works at - and I used to work at. I love books, a monitor will never replace them for me.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I get my current events news online during the week, newspaper on the weekends, which we use for mulching the gardens when done.

I get 2 magazines at home, Mother Earth News and National Geographic, because they're the kind you want to keep reading and referencing (especially NG for the kids).

The only books I buy are used and for ongoing reference--like nature bird and wildflower references, cookbooks, gardening books. Anything else, I use from the library. I MUCH prefer sitting and reading, but I don't seem to find the time for that these days and so get almost everything on cassette, CD or PlayAway. It makes all that gardening, canning and freezing go so fast and enjoyably!

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have to recommend my favourite magazine:
Harrowsmith Country Life
(Canadian Mag, lots of green homes, modern homesteading kinda stuff in it.)

I'm reading right now:
Affluenza
Straw Bale Building (really great how-to book) by Chris Magwood and Peter Mack
The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest

Other Rec's
The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs
How to Survive Without a Salary by Charles Long
Your Money or Your Life

Keep Recc'ing! It's so hard to find good books on these subjects. I just recently hit the motherload on strawbale building books at our local library.. so cool!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sweetproserpina said:
I have to recommend my favourite magazine:
Harrowsmith Country Life
(Canadian Mag, lots of green homes, modern homesteading kinda stuff in it.)

I'm reading right now:
Affluenza
Straw Bale Building (really great how-to book) by Chris Magwood and Peter Mack
The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest

Other Rec's
The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs
How to Survive Without a Salary by Charles Long
Your Money or Your Life

Keep Recc'ing! It's so hard to find good books on these subjects. I just recently hit the motherload on strawbale building books at our local library.. so cool!
Wow, thank you for sharing. I googled the Harrowsmigh Country life, It looks like a great read. I also previewed The Big Book of Preserving the harvest on amazon, looks kike it covers just about everything. I might need to order that one. GIna