Good Salt, Bad Salt

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We moved here 6 years ago. Our soil is pure white sand, like being at the beach with no ocean. We have amended the garden soil with pine shavings from a horse event center, horse manure, sheep and chicken manure, waste hay, and LOTS and LOTS of wood chips. The soil went from white sand to dark crumbly rich soil.

Guess what? I still want the salt! LOL LOL

Bay, can you get that at the grocery store?
I get it at the local health food store.

We also have the pink Himalayan salt too, but the Redmond is so much better.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get my sea -90 from earls vet supply. He has a truck throug here about once a month. Yes it is a 50 lbs bag.
We are back to that group that I buy with. We get Sea-90,DE,kelp and several other things from him.
Because I use it for everything a 50 lbs bag is no big deal.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I get my sea -90 from earls vet supply. He has a truck throug here about once a month. Yes it is a 50 lbs bag.
We are back to that group that I buy with. We get Sea-90,DE,kelp and several other things from him.
Because I use it for everything a 50 lbs bag is no big deal.
Just curious, doesn't it get hard on you?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Salt doesn't effect blood pressure unless you have a fairly rare gene variation. They've known this since the early 90s.

Too much isn't good. Neither is too little. Too little will kill you much faster than too much. USA guidelines is 2300 mg max. Hubby's doctor wants him to stay between 2500 and 3000. It's a healthy range. And if he's eating enough potassium higher isn't even as bad. Have to balance sodium and potassium intakes.

Mom is under orders from her doctor to eat more salt. Her potassium levels are through the roof. She eats potatoes at every meal and doesn't use much salt. Salt helps with with some of the pain she gets.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Mom was in the camp that salt is bad for you. She stayed away from salt like it was kryptonite. She had a stroke at 88, it ruined her life. I can’t prove it now, but I do believe that low salt was responsible.
I don’t cook with salt much, it dissolves and I can’t taste it. I prefer to salt my food before I eat it. We picked almost a laundry basket of green tomatoes yesterday, ahead of a hard frost. We had fried green tomatoes last night and will for the next however long they last or until we get sick of them. LOL They MUST have salt! We will set out the bigger ones to ripen, the smallest will go to the chickens.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was watching one of the Paul Gautschi you tube videos last night. For those of you not familiar with him: He pioneered the Back to Eden farming method. His approach was to use wood chips, in a very deep layer (at least 4") directly on top of the soil. He did that for a number of years, but has recently stopped adding the wood chips because of his physical disability. Anyhow... We all know that trees mine nutrients from deep in the soil. So, the whole tree, including the leaves is a treasure house of nutrients, especially minerals. Currently, the only thing he ever adds to his soil, in a garden that I guestimate to be about 3000 s.f. is compost from less than a dozen chickens. His recent soil test, macro and micro nutrient levels were totally off the charts. All of this babbling from me, to merely support the following statement: If we feed the soil, the soil will feed us. I find the discussion about salt cravings to be interesting. If we crave salt b/c our mineral balance is off, then... IF we feed the soil, THEN the soil, our vegetables, and our own bodies will have balanced minerals, and we WON't crave salt. Could just be that salt is really not the issue when it comes to heart/vascular disease. Instead, it's mineral imbalance.
My understanding is most heart disease is caused by inflammatory diet, particularly seed/bean "vegetable" oils, and metabolic disease/nutritional excess causing high insulin and sodium retention.

This is a good presentation for those who prefer not to read:
Readers might enjoy this book, there is a thick chapter explaining vegetable oils: https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Nutrition-Your-Genes-Traditional-ebook/dp/B01G1J7WEU

Latest posts