Good Thoughts for Sally

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sally emailed me on the 4th saying that Sam, her daughter, had been in pediatric intensive care since the 3rd with severe pneumonia, and that she would be undergoing surgery within the next few weeks to have parts of her left lung removed.

Apparently Sam took a turn for the worse on Sunday and this is the email that Sally sent me yesterday (the 9th);

Hi Merle,

What a week it has been. Sam had emergency surgery on Sunday to remove a large fluid build up around her left lung and heart. During the surgery her heart stopped beating for 10 minutes. They did cpr the whole time and finally used the paddles to shock her heart. It finally started beating thank goodness. Luckily the whole time her brain was getting blood and oxygen, so there is very little chance that she has any lingering brain damage.

She is heavily sedated now and on a breathing respirator until her lungs heal. Then she has to have another surgery to remove the abnormal lung tissue that she was probably born with. It has been the cause of her multiple sicknesses. So she will be in the hospital for almost a month.

I am staying at the "Tree House" a neat little apartment building built in the 30's and renovated recently for parents of sick children. It is right across the street from the hospital.

She was so very sick before surgery so I made her pinkie promise me that she would come back from surgery..she kept her promise.

Anyway, you can tell anyone you want about this. Maybe even ask all my favorite Christians, Pagans and yoo hoo ladies to send her prayers and good vibes etc.

Thanks,
Love Sally

Here are some parts of another email she sent me;

Sam had a really good day yesterday so I came home for the night. I finally got some sleep! Her heart rate is down and all her other vitals are finally stable. She is still in critical condition but stable.

They are keeping her heavily sedated until they remove her breathing tube, maybe about a week or two, hopefully less. At that point they are going to evaluate her to see if she can handle another surgery to remove "the culprit" aka abnormal lung tissues...which they think she may have been born with. (It sure would explain a lot.)

Last night after her sedation was beginning to wear off, she made eye contact with me and smiled. (She also passed the hand squeeze tests and her pupils react to light...all good signs of brain activity.)

The hospital staff has been fantastic. For once someone took her illness seriously and they actually formed a whole team of doctors and surgeons (12!) to try to figure out why she keeps getting sick. Sounds like they have found the answer. No doctor or surgeon in TX even gave a damn as to why she has had pneumonia 14 times...they just doped her up and labeled her with "asthma induced pneumonia" and sent her on her way...turns out she probably doesn't even have asthma. Can you believe that?

Everyone please keep Sam and Sally in your thoughts, prayers, and be sure to send them good vibes!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My heart goes out to Sally and her family. Prayers for her and her daughter as well. It sounds like she is in good hands. If you speak with her give her our love. If she needs anything please let us know. :hugs

gina

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Oh that is so sad and difficult for all. How old is Sam?

My father was admitted to ICU on Monday, he too has fluid around his lungs and heart, he is a stubborn old goat and checked himself out yesterday - his heart is only beating at around 50 beats per minute. The doctors are not happy with him.

My thoughts are with Sam and Sally for a speedy recovery!

Latest posts