Good Will Store find!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so excited. :weee
I stopped in at a new Good Will in my area. The place was packed. Looked like a Macy's the day after Thanksgiving. It turns out today was their opening day. Anyways, I found a Gallon Ball jar. The kind with the metal wire and rubber ring. It looks brand new and only cost me 2.99. I couldn't believe it. It has the eagle on one side and says Ball on the other.
I had to run and pick up my kids from school. I think I will try and go back again later. The store manager said they will be restocking again at noon. Geez I wish I Still had Christmas shopping to do. They had a ton of cool stuff.
:clap

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
That is a totally awesome find!!! I am looking for the 1/2 gallon size for using next summer to make speghetti sauce with.
I have been able to find several good maternity shirts for around $2 at my Goodwill store on the 50% off day. I have also found a few receiving blankets that I was able to cut up and make tissues and wipes out of...all for 50% off...making them either .25 or .50 depending on which Goodwill store I got them at.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OOhhhh you lucky gal.
nothing like a new goodwill....the first stuff is always amazing ...you must get back and pick it over very well!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
WOW - what a find. I never find good stuff at Goodwill. I can only go on Saturdays and there is never anything there worth the money I paid for gas to get there.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like I said it was their grand opening and it was Very crowded. A sign of the times I am sure. The store will probably be this way until after the holidays. I will go back often just to look for bargains.

I need time to pick through the clothes and linens.

Pam, So do you uses cloth napkins for eating? If so what type of fabric? I totally have stopped using paper products, plates etc, I just need o do something about the napkins. I do save them and give them to my worms but the cost is crazy. Any recommendation's? You know those receiving blankest are so soft. I bet I might have couple around somewhere.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That is so awesome!! I'd love to find something like that. I go into our Salvation Army store about once a week. I usually don't find anything but every now and then I find something great.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Like I said it was their grand opening and it was Very crowded. A sign of the times I am sure. The store will probably be this way until after the holidays. I will go back often just to look for bargains.

I need time to pick through the clothes and linens.

Pam, So do you uses cloth napkins for eating? If so what type of fabric? I totally have stopped using paper products, plates etc, I just need o do something about the napkins. I do save them and give them to my worms but the cost is crazy. Any recommendation's? You know those receiving blankest are so soft. I bet I might have couple around somewhere.
I used and old plaid dress to make the napkins....cut them into squares and then zig zag stitched around the outside (that was before I had a serger machine...now I would serger them.) I have two more dresses to cut up and turn into napkins but that will have to wait until I have some more of the baby's stuff done. I am pretty sure I paid $3 for these dresses at Walmart like 10 years ago so I have totally got my use out of them...and they no longer fit me and I went through my closet to get rid of some clothes and thought they would make great napkins and they do. There is a picture of the napkins on my blog...back a few pages. The plaid burnt orange shirt under DD's pumkin outfit was made out of one of the dresses too.

I also used the receiving blankets to.....make pink wipes for the baby that is coming....blue ones for tissues for blowing my nose (so much better, softer, and thicker than store bought kleenex)...and then yellow and green ones instead of TP. With being pg I think I must go a million times a day so I am saving at least two rolls a week just using these for myself. Then I just throw them in with my towels and wash clothes. I have a flip top lid that I got from Target that I put them in after I use them. I have just enough made that when I run out of them it fills up the container. I do need to make a few more though....like two more receiving blankets worth.
I also found a pink striped sheet blanket at Goodwill for $2.50 that I want to turn into wipes for the baby. I am thinking that I should be able to get close to 60 baby wipes out of it. I only have 24 baby wipes made right now.

Homesteading_Bound

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
GOODWILL Stores!!!!

I had this preconceived notion about goodwill stores. If it wasn't in the store it would be in the trash....Boy was I mistaken. If I had to buy anything.... winter coat, new dress etc. I will only go there. Items are new or gently worn..if that.

Great place for minds like ours.........:weee

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
And I love the hunt too- I can spend an hour just picking stuff up and trying to figure if this would be something really useful or not. I have also found missing pieces of things like a lid for a pot or the bottom to something where I have the top. :D
I bought handles for an old piece of furniture or ribbon or those microwave glass turntable things that make great plant dishes. I really miss those shopping trips but it is not worth going into town for that and when I do go, I have too mcuh to get done to linger.

Latest posts