GOOSEDRAGON are you out there? GD to the goose emergency phone please

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
or anyone else

we went out yesterday and it looks like one of the little geese has lost an eye to injury. she still has the eyeball but her sight is clearly gone. it looked like she got an eye poke (i have no idea with what). there is no gunk or discharge - its red and irritated.

i'd like to give her some antibiotics as she was a little sluggish yesterday ....and i think she is in pain. we'll separate her so the others dont bother her today.

I have PenG Procaine Benazthine (150,000/ml) - its what we gave one of our hens for a bumblefoot surgery a while ago.

can anyone confirm the dose?

She is about 12 pounds, so .5ml for three days? or every other day? 18guage needle SubQ, correct?

any thoughts?

of course she is the prettiest one.. drat!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
can't help but sorry
oh yea I would think that would hurt

always something with critters hope she improves well for you

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aw, sorry to hear that. It IS always the favorite/best/prettiest that has a problem. I can't confirm either, but I've seen GD on BYC so I wanted to see if you'd asked there? Or more likely someone could give you a dosage? In a bit of an emergency I'd probably ask for help on both the goose and an emergency forum over there, if possible?

I hope you get your answer and she recovers well.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep i asked over there. no immediate reply so i went fishing over here too.

i think i figured it out.. but i just dont know if this particular PenG is everyday or every other day. i know its 3 days.... just hard to find specific info for geese.

she seems to be doing better tho
:)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since you said "Goosedragon" I figured you had asked there. :)

I'm glad she's doing better. And the good news being you have a while to find the answer if you only need to know whether to give it tomorrow or not.

I hope you get a "real" answer but, if it were me, and I couldn't get one, I'd probably dose each day instead of skipping. If you under-dose anti-b's, I'd say you run more risk than if you take them too often or for too long.

Wish I could tell you for sure. :idunno

But I'm glad she's improving.

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure about the dosage for a goose, but I've had to use it on a chicken. Standard size, I gave 1/4 cc once a day IM, in the breast, alternating sides. She was really torn up so I continued it for 5 days, I think.

18 guage is a big needle- I started using the 18 guage for getting it out of the bottle then a new 20 guage for each injection. You can reuse a cleaned 18 guage, but the needle for injection really needs to be a new one each time.

All that said, I think I'd try an antibiotic eye ointment first.

Good luck to her and you!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always do terramycin too, to knock out anything on the actul eye thay could spread. Terak works too :)