Gopher-Go Tonic Worked For My Friend!

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had to use hardware cloth on the bottoms of all my raised beds and around my fruit tree root balls when planting because of horrible gopher problems.

Turns out I now know at least ONE person who claims total success with a gopher repellent she used on both her lawn and garden:

GOPHER-GO TONIC

4 tbsp. castor oil
4 tbsp. Dawn liquid
4 tbsp. fresh urine (human)
1/2 cup warm water
2 gallons warm water

Combine first four ingredients and then stir the solution into the 2 gallons of warm water. Pour the mixture over problem areas and repeat as necessary until the gophers are gone.

So, anybody else tried something like this? Did it work for you, too?

I was going to tease her that no gopher repellent I've ever tried or heard of actually works, but I saw the evidence when I visited her. No more mounds in her lawn or in her garden.

images

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is interesting! Thanks for sharing. I

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm willing to try almost anything, and this looks easier than some solutions I've read about

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am so going to try this! We have the pesky things everywhere, the dogs dog craters trying to catch them. Sometimes they do catch a gopher! But I can never find all that dirt to fill the hole. LOL The little monsters invade my garden too. So you just mix this up and pour it around the garden fence? Have you done this?

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so going to try this! We have the pesky things everywhere, the dogs dog craters trying to catch them. Sometimes they do catch a gopher! But I can never find all that dirt to fill the hole. LOL The little monsters invade my garden too. So you just mix this up and pour it around the garden fence? Have you done this?

My friend said she just poured some of the mixture on every mound she could find, pushing aside the dirt to get it soaked closer to the opening of each tunnel. She repeated this several times (during good weather when the rain wouldn't dilute the mixture) and voila! GOPHERS BE GONE!

She lives an hour or so south of me, down towards Vancouver. I have no idea if her "cure" only works in this climate zone west of the Cascades, but it's worth a try.