Gossling with crusty bum . .what to do?

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am totaly new to any fowl. We picked up two gosslings on Saturday. They are doing very well in their brooder - the problem is that one has a crusty bottom. I remember reading that you have to wash that or they can get ill. So, I tried, ofcourse Thor was not very pleased with the whole ordeal.

I thought she might be catching a chill, so I stopped and got her dried and back under her heat lamp. Then I thought about it and I am wondering if I really need to wash the crusty bum or not. Can anyone tell me their experience . .will a crusty bum on a gossling have a bad effect on them?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have new chicks and ducklings and from everything that I have read pasty butt is a sign of constipation and can block the poop from coming out and lead to death.

Everyone says to wipe off the little bum with warm water and a wash cloth and then you can apply a little baby oil or vaseline to prevent more sticking....maybe allowing the gosling to play in a shallow warm bath may help to get it off.

Part of the cause of pasty butt is stress so if you have just got them and they are adjusting that could be it. I have also read it could be form the temps of the brooder and from diet.

You may want to check BYC....good luck!

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah how is the gosling? One of my chicks last year was bad about getting pasty. I shaved it's bum with a pair of old dog clippers. It looked funny but, worked.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was told to simply pull it off. It pulls the feathers from the bum and helps prevent more from sticking. I haven't had the need to do it myself though.

ETA: If done gently, it doesn't hurt them, the breeder did it to my silkie chick and s/he didn't even flinch

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I've had chicks with this. I use my fingers to mush and twist the clump to try to break it up without pulling on the chicks fluff. If that won't work, I have carefully cut it off with my kids' scissors (smaller works better for me).

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, everyone. I went out of town for a family emergency then when I got back had password issues. :/

I was able to solve the crusty bumm by washing with warm water and wash cloth as suggested. I think it was new home stress. We got our 14 baby chicks last Monday and had a few with similar issues, but all are settled in and doing very well now.

Thank you so much to everyone for posting, and being patient with my sudden absence after asking such a question. :D