got a bunch of seeds for cheap....how to store...

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i got a bunch of seeds on sale from a local co-op that is going out of business..... i got lucky, they were $.50 a pack and was even given a few for free. these are fresh seeds that the co-op got in this spring.

for $11, i got :
- 2 packs of sweet corn (26g total)
- 6 packs of lettuce (8g total)
- 6 packs of squash (28g total)
- 3 packs of cherry tomatos (almost 2 g total)
- 6 packs of mustard/turnip greens (24g total)

ive thought about putting these in a huge pickle jar that has an airtight lid. will this be a decent storage for the seeds? im wanting to start buying seeds and storing but im not sure whats the best way to store them.

any comments/advice is appreciated.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good find...
me i just keep mine in a zippered case in the crisper of my fridge..
maybe others have some better ideas... :caf

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep my seeds in their original envelopes in a tight-sealing Tupperware container. You might want to check the viability year-by-year for your varieties though, some seeds don't last that long--the best way to "keep" them is to actually plant them every year and then save seeds :)

That said, I'm still finding that seeds I saved up to and over 10 years ago are still viable, although germination rates are lower than for fresh seeds for some things. These are mostly flower seeds, peas, beans, and tomatoes.

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
u guys think adding a lil bit of rice in the jar (seeds are still in their packs) will help? shouldn't it suck up any moisture that may get in the jar im using?

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy close-out seeds most every year. I put them in a cardboard box and put them in a closet. Usually have very good luck. Some are years old. I just start extras.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
AndysHomestead said:
u guys think adding a lil bit of rice in the jar (seeds are still in their packs) will help? shouldn't it suck up any moisture that may get in the jar im using?
Wouldn't hurt. You might also store that jar in the fridge or freezer.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had good germination with 10 year old lettuce and bean seeds that were stored in freezer bags, in the freezer.

FarmerPaul

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We dry them down to 10% moisture and store them in mason jars. We put those mason jars in the root cellar or cool, dark closet. We have great luck and lots of things keep for years. It is how my grandmother used to do it.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
a quick word to help ya "not" have what happened to me happen to you.. I had mine all stored in a big rubbermaid type tote on shelf in spare bedroom.. mice will find them and chew right thru rubbermaid totes and cardboard so I now keep all my heirloom seeds in big glass pickle jars and mason jars. I lost years worth of saving and picking the best of my plants to grow out each year only cuz I didn't keep them safe.. I would hate for that to happen to anyone else.
Many veg seeds can be stored well for years. Many I grow out, if not every year, every other year.. lettuce/onion/parsnip/spinach lose germination % every year so they usually get grown out every year.. but I rotate thru my tomatoes and beans about every 4 years to keep fresh as possible.
The best book I've read on the subject is Susan Ashworth's "Seed to Seed" I want to buy my own copy but so far I still borrow it from the library.
Most of what I grow I've memorized how to keep it pure and how to harvest and how to store. but there are still times I need to brush up.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I put mine in a ziploc and store them in the fridge. They seem to keep very well that way and I get a good, high percentage of sprouts.