Got it free - whatever it is??

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Not much for freebies. (Lots of cool cheap auction finds, like my leather recliner couch for $25). I got a 15 gallon aquarium and stand for free, off the side of the road. I kinda sorta want to raise grubs for chickens in it, but I'm kinda sorta creeped out by bugs in the house.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's hard to find freebies in this area- it's been depressed for a long time so people are used to scrounging. If someone puts pallets out for instance, they will be gone within the hour. Gleaning produce, especially potatoes, is a major source of food here.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's hard to find freebies in this area- it's been depressed for a long time so people are used to scrounging. If someone puts pallets out for instance, they will be gone within the hour. Gleaning produce, especially potatoes, is a major source of food here.
Well, it's like that around here too. A lot of people living close to the edge, so it's sort of a competitive environment, you could say. Which is why I've considered myself very fortunate sometimes to have come across the kind of things I mentioned.

It's definitely not like you can find just what you need/want right at the time you feel you need or want it. At all! It's good to have a mental "back burner" list of things you'd like to get—or even just have a good eye for what's useful. I bring stuff home sometimes and if, after a reasonable time it hasn't proven to be as useful as I thought it might, I put it back into circulation (for free).

Edit: I just found out about this, so thought I'd add it. An international "freecycling" online posting system. There are many, many local affiliates. Have a look...
https://www.freecycle.org

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Oh, my first horse was free, and was my DD's pony. And, someone gave me a manure spreader. I think they used it 1x, and didn't like it, so they gave it to me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I qualify for the opposite end of this spectrum - I give things away all the time, lol. I once gave a way a boat and trailer! The boat motor didn't run...but the boat was in decent shape, and the trailer was immaculate. It was my ex's. He had a deadline to come get it and didn't so I got rid of it. Come to think of it - I gave away a lot of stuff after the divorce. :hide

Recently my DH and I decided to give his BMW motorcycle away - we gave it to my son! He loves us so much now, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh but now you can call your son for tractor help anytime and he just has to come over with his new motorcycle! Lol! That's a gift and a secret barter!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yea! That was part of the plot, lol! And, it wasn't a hard decision. DH CAN NOT ride anymore.... I mean...uh...it's bad enough when a blind man is driving a car - but riding a motorcycle with his problems would be a death wish! And, it certainly did get us some bargaining power, lol!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
People here in our local towns are wasteful and are constantly throwing out good things and I don't mind a bit to stop and get them.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, Joel, great thread!

OK I get free stuff ALL the time, and tend to also give stuff out freely too.

Just a few of the free things received in the last year: a LOT of wood, a washer, dryer, bedroom set, couch, chair, 3 quilt racks, 2 quilts, shelves, a coffee table, old computers (my 18 yo is pulling them apart and making them work), a rope hammock, a potty chair (for my granddaughter), clothes for the grandkids, a fake leather child sized recliner (needed some TLC), a rabbit, several chickens, two roosters, a cat, pizza tokens for free pizzas, a Canon DSLR camera, a hooked on phonics set, a big tablet with books and cassettes for my 5 yo granddaughter... Oh, I could go on and on...

We've had lots of stuff come here, and go out free again like my Pacifica to my son, clothes, wood, furniture...

I've never been able to GIVE away more than I receive... :)

Ps 13:6 "I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me." :weee

Edited to give credit where credit is due!

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, and in my kitchen: both food dehydrators, ALL of my canning jars (close to 100...), and a large and a small canner were all given to us.

Many of the things were given to us from people who were moving and wanted to downsize, or from people that we helped in some way, from the side of the road or from people who knew we had a garden/chickens/room/kids/grandkids...

Add food (including eggs) and our time to the list of things we frequently give away...

Latest posts