Got Lyme? No? Think Again

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a gleam in the gloom!
Get guineas! I detest ticks, and they were un-freaking-believable at this place when we first moved in. Like, walk in from the car, you'd have some. Had to comb down all four dogs every night, got about a dozen each time.
Got guineas. Have not seen ONE TICK since then.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm glad we don't have ticks on our place, but they are all around us. I've been bit by ticks 2x. So now I'll have to keep that in mind.

I used to work at a winery, where I would be pulling the ticks off the winery cat every morning. No one else could get themselves to do it! I couldn't leave them on the cat. I got real good at it :lol:
Amazingly I never got a tick at the winery, even though I roamed all over the place.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I'm glad we don't have ticks on our place, but they are all around us. I've been bit by ticks 2x. So now I'll have to keep that in mind.

I used to work at a winery, where I would be pulling the ticks off the winery cat every morning. No one else could get themselves to do it! I couldn't leave them on the cat. I got real good at it :lol:
Amazingly I never got a tick at the winery, even though I roamed all over the place.
You have great karma with the animal world.
Powdered sulfur keeps the nasty little critters away. After chiggers :rant got me, :somad I heard about rubbing a little sulfur on my ankles when we were going in the woods. No bites after that- not from chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes, fleas, gnats...
They don't want to smell the stuff. :/ We don't either, but it was worth it.
I'd use it while the guineas were getting started on the tick buffet. :hide

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I have a gleam in the gloom!
Get guineas! I detest ticks, and they were un-freaking-believable at this place when we first moved in. Like, walk in from the car, you'd have some. Had to comb down all four dogs every night, got about a dozen each time.
Got guineas. Have not seen ONE TICK since then.
I will back that up Occamstanzer!

When my sissy first moved to their little neglected piece of heaven she was picking an average of 12-18 ticks a day from EACH of her 8 horses!!! That was her entire reason to get guineas. Now days a tick is almost unheard of on her place. They have also made an incredible dent in the fly population that was once at near plague proportions. She even has less fleas!!

Instead she now has a big flock of beautifully colored LOUD SQUAWKING half wild birds that roam widely on her 33 acres. Not a solution for the city, but it certainly works.

Lavendar%20Guinea%20Hen4.jpg