got out the grain grinder and broke open the dehydrated apples

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
With one thing or another, it's been awhile since I used any of my preserved produce. In fact this year, I did not dry any apples at all- just ate fresh.
But I decided to make oatmeal raisin dried-apple cookies. So I ground some of my stored grain for flour and cut up the dried apple from the previous season and made them- yum yum. I went through a whole jar of the apples as I kept eating them before they made it to the batter.

This year I'm going to dry more fruit as it keeps well, is easy to do and store and is great for eating straight out of the jar or in cooking. In fact, there seemed to be no deterioration in the apple at all even though they were over a year and a half old.

I'm ging to get a new dehydrator soon- I'm thinking of investing in an Excelsior.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If the squirrels leave me any apples I might have to dry some myself.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I dried some apples for the first time and they are easy and good to eat. I only got two jars filled and have added them to my trail mix, which I like to snack on in the evenings.
We only have one apple tree and it just started producing last year. It might be worth to go and buy some though, since I do like them so much. Or I might be able to get some from my friend again this year. She is putting her house on the market though.

Isn't it great to use your own stuff though :) I just love preparing meals and snacks with food I grew and or preserved.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this but how do you store your apples once they are dried? Do yo pack them into mason jars? I remember someone talking about a vacuum sealer that did jars.

Just wondering.

I love the satisfied feeling of cooking with your own preserved foods. I did a lentil chicken chili/ soup the other day. Chicken, broth, diced tom, tom sauce, black beans all came from my canning cupboard. I was very pleased.

gina

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I just put them in mason jars without vacuum sealing- I have vacuumed sealed before but I seem to use things up before it would make a difference. I do keep them out of the light.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
And yes- it's a great enjoyment to know that everything in a meal , you produced. The closest I've come is everything but the oil and salt.