Gourmet Mint Double Chocolate Ice Cream

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
old fashioned said:
:lol: :gig .......but do we HAVE to eat the packages too???
Fiber, silly! :p
ooooohhhhh! okey dokey joe (beginning to wonder if Free's fermenting has fermented her brain or did she just drink all that extra vodka) :gig

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
So that's two bottles of vodka, right? One for the mint and one for the brain pickle? :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But what about the icicles? Are they just for relief of winter tension? Where did they go? :hu

Recipe sounds good :drool

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
How the heck did I miss this?? I must have been busy.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
i'm just readingit now, since i am thinking of all the waysto use up some goats milk. So, cheesemaking supplies on order-check, going to get sodium hydoxide for soap tomorrow-check. Now I need an icecream maker.

Any suggestions as to what one is best/cheapest??

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How much mint extract do you end up with in a quart jar? Do you strain it out when done? How long do you let it sit? Could you use a pint jar or something instead? I have lots of chocolate mint that I'm really wanting to make mint extract from.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The icicles get smashed up and go in the space between the bucket and the ice cream container, with some rock salt, to freeze the ice cream. I got both my ice cream makers at discount/salvage stores and have been very happy with them. The first one got stored in the cellar and that ruined it. Now the new one is stored upstairs.

I just cover the leaves with alcohol and let it sit for a month or so, longer usually as I tend to forget it, then strain it into a clean bottle. I like the swing-top beer bottles for this as they are dark and have a tight seal. How much you use depends on the strength....homemade is never standardized. It will not be dyed green, either, so expect it to be kinda brownish.

Oh, and this time of year I just freeze water in containers and smash it up in a grain sack. It takes about 10-12 lbs of ice (about 1.5 gallons of water) to make a batch with my machine.

Latest posts