Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My parents put in a walk-in tub and their main complaint was that if needed, you can't get out quickly. You can't open that door until the water has drained out of the tub. Might not be an issue for some, but dad always needed mom for something and he'd yell until she showed up to help him. Unfortunately, he was deaf and couldn't hear her trying to tell him that she'd be there as soon as she could get out of the blasted bath tub, lol.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My parents put in a walk-in tub and their main complaint was that if needed, you can't get out quickly. You can't open that door until the water has drained out of the tub. Might not be an issue for some, but dad always needed mom for something and he'd yell until she showed up to help him. Unfortunately, he was deaf and couldn't hear her trying to tell him that she'd be there as soon as she could get out of the blasted bath tub, lol.

@frustratedearthmother ; Hadn't thought about the walk in tub and the waiting for the water to drain issue. Thanks for the insight. I am leaning towards the jaccuzzi tub..... or another clawfoot tub. I don't like the "modern design" of the "free standing tubs I've seen. But I want to go to someplace to see a jaccuzzi tub..... sitting on the floor, height off the floor, if it will accommodate this simple bench seat that I have come to like. Also, sitting on the bench makes leg shaving sooooo much easier.... it has made showering alot easier with the ankle replacement..... and the knees hurting. I can actually take my time and not rush just because it hurts to stand so long. Take a minute and sit while still enjoying the shower. And having a shower that has the removeable wand so you can use it anywhere on your body is the way to go. Stick it in the holder for a "normal shower"; take it out and use by hand.....

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We installed a Jaccuzzi tub in our house in Wyoming when we remodeled the basement. We bought the actual Jaccuzzi brand - it had a in-line heater to keep the water hot while I soaked and jetted until I was a prune. I loved that thing. I miss it so much. We bought a large one because DH is 6'4" and needs extra length and depth to fit in a tub.
And yes! on the removeable shower head. Right now we have a "rain shower" head with the center as a removable wand for easy use. That is really nice also. The rain shower head gives a large area of water spray from above, but you turn it to the "wand" and pop the wand head out and you can do hard spray, soft spray and pulse for a massage. It works well.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @wyoDreamer for the insight. If I wasn't putting this back into a "space" where the previous tub and surround was coming out of, I would go for bigger just for the comfort to stretch out more. My son is 6'6" so I get the needing the extra length and depth... he doesn't live with me but have dealt with his size issues over the years. I will see about looking at the jaccuzzi brand. I am looking at a free standing tub also as they are definitely deeper.... I really like my old clawfoot here at the rental house.... for the depth..... of course no jets..... Just seems like it would be a good thing for these old achey joints. Did you have any problems with mold or anything in the jets? Someone told me that they need to be self draining? Maybe the older original ones weren't as good and the design was improved on.

Thanks again for your input. That is what I was hoping for; hearing from anyone who had one and what they liked/didn't like. I am leaning towards the jaccuzzi type tub.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The new ones are self-draining and we never had any problems with mold in the jets. Not even in the cheap "garden tub" that was in the master bathroom. That was a deep tub, but it was an odd triangle shape and my husband couldn't stretch out his legs in there.
That is also an idea to look at: Garden Tubs. They are considered free-standing, but that doesn't mean they have feet. Most need to have a surround built around them to hold them and the surround is usually 2x4 framing with cement board and tiled. They typically don't have showers in them as they are designed for sitting and soaking in, not for standing in - so they are deep and a separate shower stall is added to the bathroom.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of the outside and outside buildings. I didn't take any pictures of the inside out the house due to respect of personal belongings of the young couple that lives there. They did a really good job on the remodeling. Even the basement has divided rooms that have been dry walled and trimmed.

Pretty rolling hilly farmland.
View attachment 13878

Large pond, the have a two seat paddle boat in it. And there were baby ducks in a tub in the barn.
View attachment 13879

Mowed yard around the house.
View attachment 13880

Back of the house. New central AC & Heat pump, aeration septic.
View attachment 13881

Barn with cement floor (wood shop).
View attachment 13882

Inside of barn (wood shop) about 1/2 of it.
View attachment 13883

Apartment / guest house / rental / etc... Brand new central AC Heat Pump
View attachment 13884

Inside of the Apartment / guest house / rental / etc...
View attachment 13885
View attachment 13886
Well after a long conversation with my wife, about life and growing old and stuff... I finally understand why she wants to live closer to the family. She's thinking just like I am, last move and that's it. But then she just up and asked me, so if something were to happen to me, would you be ok taking care of everything by yourself?

I said so you mean if you kick the bucket first? She said yes. I said well that's a easy answer. The answer is No, I would have to find me another woman. She said are you sure about that? Yeah, I'm pretty sure... They are fun to be with, most of the time 😁.

Then I said well what about you? She said well I would just up and sell the place and move in with one of the kids. I so what no guy? She said nah... So that settles that, I guess.

We just got back from looking at this place, that I wanted to look at a few weeks ago. Wife loves it, we put in a offer tommorow.

1500sqft/16 wooded acres, within the Shawnee National Forest.

Well we just signed the contract and are moving the end of next month.
It funny how things just fall into place... Despite the fact that I walked away after the first counter offer.
Hi, I’ve been following along this thread from the beginning. It’s so exciting seeing someone realize such an awesome dream!

I got a little bit confused though. Are you buying the property that you put the first offer on where the seller’s counter offer was too high? Or the second property you put an offer on that is in the Shawnee National Forest?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been following along this thread from the beginning. It’s so exciting seeing someone realize such an awesome dream!

I got a little bit confused though. Are you buying the property that you put the first offer on where the seller’s counter offer was too high? Or the second property you put an offer on that is in the Shawnee National Forest?

It's the 20 acres "pretty hilly farmland" one. We went through several back and forths with the seller. In the end we got the price my wife and I agreed what would be we would be willing to pay. We close the end of the month and will be moving all throughout the month of July.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got confirmation today, we close June 30.
Mortgage interest rates are insanely low right now. Good time to purchase property.
👍

Shhh... But I looked at another house in town to buy and rent out. I can't help myself, I love old houses.

My plan... Drive my wife crazy!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My tenative closing is around July 20th.... and yes, I am also looking at the possibility of a bigger place, needing some work, on a bigger piece of land...... and I don't have the skills to do much of the work myself.....The ridiculously low interest rates are pushing me..... and knowing that the house I have a contract on, will be worth twice what I am paying with about 10,000 worth of work.....So in essence I could re-fi as soon as the work is done and get more out of it and then be able to possibly invest in some thing else. I am not against the idea of renting out... having a company that specializes in managing properties.... and let them handle the day to day stuff..... Less for me, but alot fewer headaches. There are 2 management companies here that have great reputations, a friend uses one, and she is doing better financially than she ever thought she could.... and paying them to do the headache stuff.....It is an idea I have started to kick around....

Latest posts