Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never had it, but I believe it's in the walnut family. Watched a wood working video last week, and the man who was turning it called it "white walnut". I grew up with black walnut, and absolutely loved them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Next chapter in the stimulus situation coming to a mailbox near you.

CFO gave me the go ahead for fencing, last month. I was kind of conserned about what our electric bill was going to run, with all 2 weeks of cold, ice/snow and the heat pump running emergency heat. Besides I heard of the astronomical electric bill amounts of some people's electric bills in TX and WV. So I figured I would give the finances a little break and wait and see... Our electric bill came in only slightly higher than we expected. So it game on again. Soon it'll be a bunch of free weeks where we won't use, heat or the air conditioning at all, that helps and govt simulation #3, will surely help some also.

Maybe another tractor :weee

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are renting out a field to a cash cropper. The rent for that field will be used to buy fencing supplies for an area that we want to use a free-range for chickens. We will see how that goes.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those saplings are sky-high, plus they can't ship to illinois, why? I'm unsure, didn't ask. So no I didn't. Obviously not meant to be.
That's the problem I'm running into, I find all these cool websites with fruit trees, or even just trees that would be great for a homestead, and they don't ship to California. I managed to find some almonds but still haven't figured out where I can get pecans or walnuts. I did find a place with bare roots, but they add up quickly.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you looked at Chief River Nursery? They ship everywhere in US except 4 states and Illinois isn't one of the restricted ones.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMO, location of the nursery is key. I would NEVER consider buying trees from a southern nursery. Here, for me... in snow country, my 2 "go to" companies are Fedco Trees (must order just as soon as the catalog comes out. They sell out THAT QUICKLY! And St. Lawrence Nursery in NY. I'm a fan of bare root plants. What you see is what you get. And, if you buy from a reliable company, the viability is good. Potted plants: I'm told that they loose 90% of their root mass! Add to that: these trees are usually forced with mega doses of fertilizer to produce thick trunks and a lot of top growth, all while they don't have the root mass to support it. Most are also grown in warm climates before being shipped to the northern states. Then, they sit in the pots for a season. If they survive, the roots circle around and that circling can actually strangle the tree. Even worse: ball and burlap trees. Customer is told to bury burlap and all. Um... that's so the customer doesn't inspect the root ball too closely. Nope... not gonna happen on my watch! Whether it's potted or B&B, you pay a premium for a big beefy tree that is at a huge disadvantage once it gets into the ground. Check with your county Ag. extension. they often have tree sales in the spring, and they'll be sure to sell stuff that will grow in your zone.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Next chapter in the stimulus situation coming to a mailbox near you.
Yeah. Tax payers get 9% of the funds, while the rest goes to foreign aid, gender studies, illegal immigrants, and Billions of $$$ for swamp rat's pet projects. We will be paying interest on that for generations to come. I say we take stimulus money out of swamp rat's personal funds, and use it to pay down the national debt.

Latest posts