Grain bags

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I got some of Bob's Red Mill too & I planted some to see what I get. I figure it's worth a try. So far the wheat is up about 4 inches & I'm hoping it works. If you have a garden, throw some out there-you might be able to grow your own.
I grew some like that too. (Before I found out I am Celiac and can't eat wheat. :( ) It really works! Just be sure you know whether you are planting Spring or Winter wheat. Spring wheat grows now, just like you would guess. Winter wheat, which is what I grew, you sew just a bit before it freezes in the winter. You want it to get established well. It then overwinters in the garden (making a great ground cover by the way) and starts to grow VERY early in Spring again, finally producing grain in June or July.

I harvested mine with a hand scythe and threshed it into a deep sided wheelbarrow by beating it on the sides. These days I just grow oats for winter cover.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Would a clean pillowcase work for one? Might need to reinforce the seams but it seems similar.
I would think it would, though I would certainly reinforce the seams, if only to make it harder for creepy crawlies to crawl through the stitching. If the bag is only as an interior lining for the bucket, and not for carrying the weight of the grain, maybe strength isn't so very important. What I made was about the simplest kind of bag possible, which is all that a pillowcase is. The material I used was heavier, because I already had it. The next ones will probably be a lighter weight, as I used all the heavier stuff.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
old fashioned said:
I got some of Bob's Red Mill too & I planted some to see what I get. I figure it's worth a try. So far the wheat is up about 4 inches & I'm hoping it works. If you have a garden, throw some out there-you might be able to grow your own.
I grew some like that too. (Before I found out I am Celiac and can't eat wheat. :( ) It really works! Just be sure you know whether you are planting Spring or Winter wheat. Spring wheat grows now, just like you would guess. Winter wheat, which is what I grew, you sew just a bit before it freezes in the winter. You want it to get established well. It then overwinters in the garden (making a great ground cover by the way) and starts to grow VERY early in Spring again, finally producing grain in June or July.

I harvested mine with a hand scythe and threshed it into a deep sided wheelbarrow by beating it on the sides. These days I just grow oats for winter cover.
I have the "hard red spring wheat" variety & so far so good. I'm just not sure how I plan on harvesting it. I guess I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. :p

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have made the muslin bags and used them to hold pasta that I am planning to vaccume seal in mylar bags. The muslin bags keep the sharp pasta from poking a hole in the mylar and ruining the seal. After I place the pasta in the muslin bag I tie it shut and place it in the mylar bag with a few bay leaves, a dessicant and an O2 absorber. I vaccume and seal the bag and place it in a frosting bucket to keep the varmints out. So far this has worked well. I also do this for rice.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I would have put the pillowcase inside a 5 gallon bucket. I used to keep a few buckets of bulk dry goods and want to get back into that.
We make our own bread and I wanted to stock up on that stuff to save $.

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am Wheat allergic not Celiac but with a very similar problem.

I buy my bulk grains from www.bulkfoods.com. With an order over $75 the shipping has been $5. Its very easy to order that much several times a year. I buy my Buckwheat, Rice, Millet, Amaranth, Flax seeds, and popcorn from them. Also, a few of my spices and dried vegetables. And I always order the Flax seed Corn chips for myself and my Daughter.

I use Home Depots paint buckets (they are food grade) to store them in. Fast food pickle buckets also work (sometimes free). After you clean them put them in the warm sun from 3 -7 days filled with water and 1 cup of baking soda. The pickle smell will dissipate and you have yourself a handy dandy food storage container.

I also have the Family grain mill and meat grinder and use the mill every week. I grind all of my own flours and I course grind seeds for the baby chicks and ducks untill they are 6 weeks or so. I also have the VITA MIX and while I have ground rice and millet in it for flour. Its work. I prefer to use the grain mill to grind flour and use the Vitamix for a blender. Summer is coming and so are the Smoothies.

Oh I just started using the meat grinder to make sausage. So far, good.

I really should make some grain/Bean bags to fit those buckets. And smaller ones, so I can put a combination of say beans in one bucket. Note to self: Use different colors/patterns for different beans.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know this may be a bit late but Emergency Essentials sells the huge Mylar bags that fit in the 5 - 6 gallon buckets. If your going the bucket route they are great and do not cost all that much.

gina

buttercup "I am Wheat allergic not Celiac but with a very similar problem. " Your going to need to explain this a bit more. We have a bunch of Celiac issues at home and all over this forum.

Enquiring minds want to know!!

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I might be able to help. Some people, as I understand it, are allergic to the protein found in the wheat grain. They still can eat other grains. Celiac are intolerant to the gluten protein that is found in many different grains.

Latest posts