Grain Mill Recommendations

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Blendtech and a Nutrimill. The blendtech does a fine job, but I can only do 1-2 cups max, dump it out, repeat. So it's slow and it is super loud when doing grain. It also heats up the flour as it's grinding, but if you are cooking it right anyway then it's no big deal.
The Nutrimill is what I use when I want to grind more than a few cups of grain. It's faster, a little quieter, and can make the grain as coarse or as fine as I want it.

I do love my Blendtech for lots of other things though. Batters, green smoothies, regular smoothies, etc. I found the best price at 2-life.com and they are great. They will send you unadvertised sale prices if you fill out their online request form.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I have a Blendtech and a Nutrimill. The blendtech does a fine job, but I can only do 1-2 cups max, dump it out, repeat. So it's slow and it is super loud when doing grain. It also heats up the flour as it's grinding, but if you are cooking it right anyway then it's no big deal.
The Nutrimill is what I use when I want to grind more than a few cups of grain. It's faster, a little quieter, and can make the grain as coarse or as fine as I want it.

I do love my Blendtech for lots of other things though. Batters, green smoothies, regular smoothies, etc. I found the best price at 2-life.com and they are great. They will send you unadvertised sale prices if you fill out their online request form.
thanks, that helps out alot. Hubby was looking at the blendtechs and he likes them. My thinking was to maybe get one of those to start, and if grinding goes well, get a nutrimill. They hold 20 cups of flour (!).

having a handcranked model is not a necessity. If in case of power outages, I would seem to think bread is not a mandatory food item, -- preserved meat, fruit and veggies would be higher on the scale than freshly ground flour.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We also recently purchased a Back to Basics mill, which we haven't tried out yet. Emergency Essentials recently ran a special of $50 (with free shipping) and we picked it up as a spare, or to loan out.
Is this the one you're talking about? http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FP M100_A_name_E_Hand Grain Mill I don't own a mill and have been thinking about purchasing this one since it was fairly inexpensive. I figured if I found that grinding grain was too much on me, I wouldn't be out too much, but didn't want to buy it unless I knew for sure it was ok.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Is this the one you're talking about? http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FP M100_A_name_E_Hand Grain Mill I don't own a mill and have been thinking about purchasing this one since it was fairly inexpensive. I figured if I found that grinding grain was too much on me, I wouldn't be out too much, but didn't want to buy it unless I knew for sure it was ok.
Yes. We haven't tried it yet, but I may get around to doing so this weekend. If you would like, I'll let you know how it works out.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Please do. I'd really appreciate that.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I too figure that if the power is out, baking bread will be the least of my worries :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
1419_sam_1131.jpg

Here is the mill I got. Its antique and in good condition. It cracks corn, grinds seeds/grains, and will grind pellets. Im using it often. Ive been making some custom feeds with it. :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I too figure that if the power is out, baking bread will be the least of my worries :)
FWIW, we've been without power for a couple of weeks a few different times. There's nothing like a loaf of fresh baked bread to lift your spirits. Also, the way things are going in this country, there may well come a time when electricity becomes a luxury reserved for the most basic necessities (they don't call me Mr. Sunshine for nothing). :D

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We got a Grainmaker mill a year ago at Christmas. It's a great grinder although I'm still waiting for my DH to fix the hit-or-miss engine so it can be motorized. It cranks pretty easy by hand, though. Mostly I do wheat in it and one pass will grind it very fine for bread. http://www.grainmaker.com/

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Niele da Kine said:
We got a Grainmaker mill a year ago at Christmas. It's a great grinder although I'm still waiting for my DH to fix the hit-or-miss engine so it can be motorized. It cranks pretty easy by hand, though. Mostly I do wheat in it and one pass will grind it very fine for bread. http://www.grainmaker.com/
The link is not working for me. :hu

Latest posts