Grain mills...grinders....what do you use?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Patch of Heaven Farm said:
Anyone use the kitchenaid mixer grain mill attachment? I plan to buy one next week for dh and I seen they have these. Just wondering if anyone has one and if so how do you like it??
I was informed I might have to run it thru twice to get it ground up properly. So I never invested in one, kept waiting to see what I would come up with when I had the money. Just keep that in mind if it is not as fine as it should be.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I am curious if anyone has ever actually tried an antique coffee grinder to make flour. I love antiques, and it appears you can get a coffee grinder a little bit cheaper than a grain mill, plus there are more of them out there. Hmmmmmmmm.......
I have been grinding wheat with an Arcade coffee mill for about 10 years. Works fine for me. It is a hand grinder, but I confabbed a pulley on it in order to hook it up to an electric grinder. In order to do this, you need something to reduce the speed or your electric motor will burn up your unit. I use a 50:1 reducer out of an ice machine.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm still debating on getting a mill. There is another shipment of wheat berries coming in from Montana for $18 for a 50 lb bag, but I don't have a grinder. I'm thinking of getting a Back to Basics hand grinder because it is cheaper and doesn't rely on electricty. Of course, if there isn't any electricty, I'm not sure how to bake anything anyway.:rolleyes:

I only bake bread 1-2 times per week. That might not be too much grinding by hand, but I'm afraid of trying it. What do you think? Is the hand grinding too much of a pain?

Inchworm

everyonesmomtwo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a really great grinder the Nutrimill. it grinds everything really fine and I love it. I would really like to have a hand grinder though in case I lost power and had to cook in my wood stove. haven't heard of one that would mill the wheat fine enough. There has to be something? What did our ancestors use? Besides 2 rocks.
Ruth