Grains for milling flour

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I get most through my co-op, which orders from Wheat Montana. Non GMO, and some are certified organic, the rest are on their way, chemical-free. Their quality is fantastic and the flour is wonderful. Much better than what I used to get at Whole Foods and at a fraction of the price.

I just received my buckwheat groats from Multiple Organics (also through the co-op) and have yet to grind them, but they look great.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wheat Montana markets their grain through Walmart. I buy 25# bags of hard white or red wheat berries at my local Walmart for around $12. I LOVE their hard white wheat for making bread. It's not organic, but has been tested after harvest and certified chemical-free.

The Wheat Montana website shows where their product is sold:
http://www.wheatmontana.com/dealer.php

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Our WallyWorld doesn't sell anything like bags of wheat for grinding. Even our newly opened Super one. I can't imagine finding anything great like that!

OTOH, I just joined our local coop. Now I have to figure out how to bulk order from them. I may be joining in on the "what is the best grinder" threads :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
valmom, check out VickiLynn's Wheat Montana link and click on MA in the state drop down box. You'll see the contact info for the co-op I use, Naturally Yours is the name. They have members from many states and even offer to connect you with someone nearby if possible so you can take turns picking your stuff up. It is great! Mine was dropped off at my house by a lady whose mom lives near me!

I also looked for WalMart on that site and they only sell wheat in about half the states.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What is a co-op? Is thatlike a buying club?

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the leads, I will check them out, keep me posted if you find any new ones, I'm getting ready to tour the Amish communities on a new product tour and going to see what they have available. I will let you all know if I find anything. We are going to Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania on this trip.

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beerman, a Co-op is a group of people who have joined together for the purpose of buying in bulk and distributing amongst the members. There are incorporated co-ops in the rural areas, for feed and supply as well as electric providers, then there is just small groups of people with a common need that have joined and formed a buying group, or a work group to gather and harvest and process foods to share and take home. The concept dates back into the Great Depression when people had no money a lot of time on their hands and needed to obtain and store food for the winter. Large garden plots were grown and when it came time the families all came together for the harvest and processing. These types of gatherings occurred for butchering and other basics needs as well. They still thrive today in the Amish life, and back-to-basics life styles. A group of ladies getting together to share and swap recipes could even be considered a co-op.

I posted more about money saving ideas and products under the Buy-Sell tab here on SSF. Liz