Grandmom's oxtail soup

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, here it is by request :D

There are no quantities for this recipe, so forgive the terrible measurements. I learned to make it by watching Grandmom, and she doesn't measure.

-1 package oxtails (about 6-8 pieces)
-a quantity of stew meat, or a couple meaty bone sections
-large can of whole tomatoes
-garlic
-onions
-parsley
-bay leaf
-celery leaves (fresh)
-black pepper
-sea salt
-beans of your choice
-carrots
-potato bits (I swap them for turnip cubes)
-corn if you're naughty
-peas if you're naughty
-V8 or some other vegetable juice blend

This soup can be highly variable. I always start by filling a big pot with water, and then I boil the oxtail and meat or meaty bones. I also add right at the start minced garlic, celery tops, pepper, salt, parsley, bay leaves. Boil this business all freaking day until you have a rich, hearty broth.
Fish out the bay leaves and the celery tops and give them to your birdies.
Fish out the oxtails, bones, and meat. Chop up the meat and put it back in the pot. Give the bone to your pooch if he's not the type to swallow things.

Drain the can of tomatoes and squish each one with your hands before adding it. I use whole canned and then hand squish because I think diced canned has a weird metallic taste.
Add the diced onion. Add the beans you like. I use garbanzos, red kidney, and yellow wax beans, or whatever I have.
Add your diced carrots and turnips or potatoes. Grandmom puts corn, peas, and sometimes little pasta, but I leave those out.
By this point your soup will be nearly solid, so you can thin it down with some vegetable juice. Sounds weird, but trust me, it makes the broth amazing.

The oxtails are loaded with all sorts of fat and collagen and connective things that give the broth a very rich mouthfeel. I wuvs them!
I serve the soup with grilled cheese if I'm really bad, or sliced apples and cheese if I'm good.

Latest posts