Granola Bars?

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I am making granola and would love to know if anyone here makes it into bars? My 8 year old is begging me and I love it that she is eating so much better.
Thanks!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This is the recipe I made for my kids when they were growing up. It is from a recipe book I got for free in the early 80's from Quaker Oats.

This is the recipe exactly as it is in the book. I've never used corn syrup to make these.

Snackin' Granola Bars
A chewy granola bar which has a nut-like flavor from the toasted oats. Achieve different flavors by using honey, molasses, or corn syrup.

3 1/2 cup toasted oats (see below)
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts
2/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup honey or molasses or corn syrup
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients; mix well. Press firmly into a well-greased 15 1/2" x 2" x 10 1/2" jelly roll pan. Bake in preheated 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Cool. Cut into bars. Store in a tightly covered container in a cool dry place or in the refrigerator.

To Toast Oats:
Place uncooked oats on an ungreased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool and store in tightly covered container in refrigerator up to 6 months.
Toasted Oats are lower in calories than nuts, and in some cases, can be substituted for nuts. Toasted Oats can be used in meatloaf, as a breading, in cookies, or with hot or cold cereals.

eta:
Variations:
Add 1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut
Substitute one 6-oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate pieces for the 1/2 cup raisins
Substitute 1/2 cup sunflower seeds for 1/2 cup nuts

NOTE:
To bake in 13" x 9" baking pan, bake in preheated 325 oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
To bake in 13" x 9" glass baking dish, bake in preheated 300 oven for 30 to 35 minutes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here is a different recipe from that same Quaker Oats book. It is also good.

Wholegrain Jam Squares

2 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup preserves

Combine all ingredients except preserves in large mixing bowl; beat at low speed on electric mixer until mixture is crumbly. Reserve 2 cups mixture; press remaining onto bottom of greased 13" x 9" baking pan. Spread preserves evenly over base; sprinkle with reserved mixture. Bake in preheated 400 oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut into squares.

Variation:
Omit nuts in oat mixture; add 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp cloves to oat mixture. Substitute combined 1 cup applesauce, 3/4 cup raisins, and 1/2 cup nuts for preserves.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is one that isn't quite as healthy as the other two, which look like yummy recipes, I will be trying them!

If you want to use your granola that you already made, rather than making the bars from scratch, you can make the classic crispie treats recipe, with marshmallows, and substitute your granola. It makes a very chewy granola bar. If you add a few chocolate chips, they melt and make a chocolate granola bar.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Freemotion waht a great idea. Next time I may do that! Keljonma I tried your first recipe out today. I baked it on a 8x8 square pan so that the bars were thicker. It worked out just fine. Thanks!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yum!

I wrote both down and will be giving them a try!

Thank you for taking the time to share :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Kel I made your Jam Bars yesterday. I made 1/2 with some apricot jam I made last summer and 1/2 with some strawberry jam.

They were super crumbly when I cut them but I put them in a gal. sized ziplock in the fridge and it firmed them up.

I have already eaten 2 today! They are delish....thank you so much for the recipe!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
keljonma said:
You are welcome! ;) When dd and ds were growing up, I had a hard time keeping them stored. :D
I am going to buy some plastic wrap, although I hate the stuff it is perfect for wrapping these bars and then I will just throw them in the freezer. Then they will be easy to toss in a lunch box.