Granola recipes, what do you use?

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
I was told by the Dr. that I should have been stuffed into a pillowcase and drowned promptly after birth, so the end result is I now make my own cereal, which is granola.

I went to the health food store and saw bins of stuff, like quinoa and spelt. While I didn't know what they were, I was reassured by the sales lady that they would be wonderful for granola. So that is what I did. I still don't know what they are, but I eat them every day now.

My recipe, very flexible and never identical:

Oatmeal
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Flax seed
Quinoa
Spelt
Something else that looked like spelt and oatmeal but began with a 'B' (buckwheat? barley? baby powder? bridgette bardot?)
Sesame seeds, black, golden, and not so golden
Ground Cinnamon
Ground Ginger

I mix it up in the pans, drizzle with oil, and put in a 350 degree oven, swishing around every 10 to 15 minutes. It's done when it's nice and golden. I fill up a freezer zip-loc bag with it and keep in the fridge. Lasts a month at least.

Do you make granola?
And what do you add?

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Sounds good! Spelt....what is that? I think I would be laughing really hard every time I ate it! "Gee, Delia..What did you have for breakfast this morning?"...."I had Spelt.." and turn around and walk off...:gig
Was it very expensive for all the ingrediants?
Hmmmm....my ex hubby told me the same thing your doctor told you. Maybe I can fix him a bunch of granola with Spit in it? lol!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Blueberry Sunrise Granolathe Roasted Vegetable
3 cups oats
2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup sunflower seeds
cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups dried blueberries

Roast 25-30 min at 325 F.

NOTE: I dink around with everything, like mixing in rye and barley, different nuts or fruits, but I use the basic ratio of grains to fruits and sugar-oil.

eggs4sale

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
3 cups oats
2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup sunflower seeds
cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups dried blueberries

NOTE: I dink around with everything, like mixing in rye and barley, different nuts or fruits, but I use the basic ratio of grains to fruits and sugar-oil.
I tried this with the dried blueberries, but i must have done something wrong, because it was almost like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, when Tom bites down on something hard and his teeth shatter and crumble away. I think I was not supposed to bake the granola WITH the dried blueberries in it???

I never thought of vanilla! Hmmmmm.....

eggs4sale

Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Sounds good! Spelt....what is that? I think I would be laughing really hard every time I ate it! "Gee, Delia..What did you have for breakfast this morning?"...."I had Spelt.." and turn around and walk off...:gig
Was it very expensive for all the ingrediants?
Hmmmm....my ex hubby told me the same thing your doctor told you. Maybe I can fix him a bunch of granola with Spit in it? lol!
I don't know what spelt is, but it sort of looks like the oatmeal. I think. I don't know. I bagged up a bunch of different weird things and was too stupid to label them, so by the time I got home with them, I was looking at them and saying "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...."

It turned out to be really cheap to buy the things. The quinoa had a hefty price per pound, I think $12.95, but I discovered it weighs almost nothing, so maybe a pound wouldn't fit in the trunk of my car.

I buy the oatmeal at Sam's Club, it's pretty cheap there.
They don't sell spelt and quinoa there, though.

I also bought this at the grocery store:
Hodgson Mill Multipurpose Baking Mix. It's about $5, I think, but I don't put a lot in. It is made up of whole grain millet flour, whole grain sorghum flour, whole grain brown rice flour, and xantham gum.
Don't know what most of that is, but it's wheat-free, gluten-free.

My whole recipe is gluten free, in fact. I think. :D

After I put it in the bowl and pour the milk on, then I salt it to taste. If I add salt before the baking, the salt tends to settle to the bottom and some meals turn out too salty.
The same can be done with sugar or agave nectar.
I tried adding agave nectar before the baking, but it burned too quickly. Honey worked well, though, but I forget to put it in most of the time.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I like adding peanut butter to my granola. Or cocoa powder in with the wet ing. or chocolate chips. Not so healthy, I know, but tasty. And the chocolate chips make the granola clump together better. I like large chunks, not a bunch of little pieces.

I like to make granola before I move, it helps me use up all the little bits of this and that in my cupboards.

Oh, grated/shredded coconut and coconut oil too.

eggs4sale

Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I like adding peanut butter to my granola. Or cocoa powder in with the wet ing. or chocolate chips. Not so healthy, I know, but tasty. And the chocolate chips make the granola clump together better. I like large chunks, not a bunch of little pieces.

I like to make granola before I move, it helps me use up all the little bits of this and that in my cupboards.

Oh, grated/shredded coconut and coconut oil too.
How do you make your granola clump together without chocolate? Does it take a whole tanker of oil?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
me&thegals said:
3 cups oats
2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup sunflower seeds
cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups dried blueberries

I tried this with the dried blueberries, but i must have done something wrong, because it was almost like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, when Tom bites down on something hard and his teeth shatter and crumble away. I think I was not supposed to bake the granola WITH the dried blueberries in it???

I never thought of vanilla! Hmmmmm.....
Yes, the blueberries get baked, too. Don't know what went wrong for you...:hu

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when i make granola i use half and half oil and honey or maple syrup, heat till emulsified. pour over grain mix bake slowly and stir constantly. if you want it to clump leave it in little piles while it cools the sugar will make it stick together. i just bake the grains i use and add things like dried fruit or coconut after iit has baked or just at the end. that is the biggest thing when baking choose items that have similar cooking times for best results. or stager their addition to the mix.

Hollyrose

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I make granola every couple weeks and use:

4 cups of thick organic rolled oats

Any kind of nut

Crushed dried bananas

Honey 1/4 cup

Maple syrup 1/4 cup

about 2tsp of Cinnamon

1/4 plus 2tbs of Extra virgin olive oil

and dried coconut/raisins or fruit if I have them around

Everything is mixed together minus dried fruit at 250 degree oven and baked for 1 hour 15 minutes and stirring every 15 minutes