Granola

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So I made some granola the other day, and it is delicious, BUT.....isn't it supposed to stick together? I was going for granola BARS, but it's just granola..clumps or chucnks or whatever you wanna call it :lol: Anybody have a recipe for granola bars or know what I could add? I put a ton of honey in the stuff, but it all kinda dried out in the oven :hu

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only home made granola I have ever seen is in clumps/chunks. I'm thinking the store-bought bars have some GRAS substance in them to help them stick together. Egg whites would work but they would have a shelf life, and refrigerated at that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well crud, was hoping to have something easier as a to go snack for the road. Oh well, it's still very good. I just expected the honey to make it stick better I guess.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make the granola clumps and chunks, then add melted peanut butter and chocolate, and extra honey, to make bars. SO GOOD, but definitely NOT diet/good for you food :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Who said anything about diet? That's a dirty word...should be censored :lol:

Peanut butter and chocolate.....I could deal with that :D I did put chocolate chips in it anyway, a little more couldn't hurt :drool

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
7 cups oatmeal
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups honey
2 cups or as many chocolate chips as you can find in the house at the time(seriously :D )
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut

mix it all up, bake at 250 for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to bake evenly

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make Crock Pot Granola, and it's just clumps:

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sliced blanched almonds
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (the little green ones)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup honey

Dump everything into your crock pot (5 quart) in order listed, then mix well.
Takes 2 hours on high with a chopstick propping the lid open to vent the steam.
MUST stir every 15 minutes or the granola near the element in the side of the pot will burn.

We add raisins or other dried fruit when we eat it, because not everyone in my family likes raisins--so we just keep those things in separate jars.

Granola "bars" only happen if you add flour (gluten) or corn syrup or marshmallows, in my experience.