Grape jam question

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
davaroo said:
The purple "grape jam" we are familir with is kind of a put on, anyway, a too-good-to-be-true outcome. Especially the color looks trumped up. I wonder just how much real grape is in that stuff?
"Real" grape jam or jelly is whatever color the fruit is, unless one adds coloring.
I am guessing you don't have Concord grapes down that far south, David?

Jelly from Concord grapes (or for that matter, jam from Coronation which are similar in appearance to Concord but seedless although also a bit less grapey tasting) looks virtually IDENTICAL to storeboughten grape jelly. Tastes pretty similar too.

That in fact is why I am not big on making it... I do not have great mental associations with storeboughten grape jelly or grape lollipops, so going to all that trouble to make something so relatively close to it is a bit depressing :p

I actually made a batch of grape jam last night, when I get a chance I will take a photo for you ;)

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
davaroo said:
You can use any type of grape you want, I guess.
The purple "grape jam" we are familir with is kind of a put on, anyway, a too-good-to-be-true outcome. Especially the color looks trumped up. I wonder just how much real grape is in that stuff?

"Real" grape jam or jelly is whatever color the fruit is, unless one adds coloring. Around here, people make muscadine jelly and it is very good - and only slightly purply reddish.
It does seem suspicious, doesn't it? But, I don't recall ever seeing food coloring on a grape jam jar. When we lived at our old place, we had grapes. We also were gifted grapes often by family. We used to steam juice those (purple juice!) and then use the rest to make grape butter. It was a deep, deep purple.

I just love the rainbow of vibrant colors of all these foods we process!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I used all Concords in my jelly this year. The color is a not-so-pretty marroonish-brown. But, the taste is yummy, and that's what counts.

Three years ago, we used 3 different varieties: Concord and I can't remember the other two. That jelly was a very pretty true purple color and it tasted great, too.