Grape Jelly recipes

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I am afraid I will be of no help. My only experience is through my Mississippi bride and grapes from the wild. Here in Ohio, these grapes were new to me. Prior to this year's travel problems, I was trying to figure out with her family how to get a few buckets to bring north.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It very well could have been the birds. They sure know when our figs are ripe! I was able to get 10 pints of Fig Jam made this year. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I find the pure juices are often in the "end" of the juice aisle, more often in the organic area. You will find the pure juices there. Yep, any can be used instead of the actual fruit. Look, it was fruit and they did the hard work for you! I had an old vine many yrs ago, on the farm when bought. Made great jelly -- you couldn't tell it from Welch's. In fact, the stepdtr would put it into an empty Welch's jar so her kids thought it was. :lol: But that from a jug of juice was just as good, IMO.

I eat little jelly. Generally like jam or preserves but, I've made several jars of jelly with various jugs of juice. DH always liked strawberry, so I'd pick and make preserves for him.

The cherry makes a nice syrup -- for pancakes, Ice cream, etc.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everytime I have had freezer jam I find it much too sweet for my taste. The Pomona does work good but I seldom eat the jelly or jam fast enough to not get some waste. And it is hard to put up anything smaller than the half pint small "jelly jars". The little 4 oz ones take so much time.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, I think I will try the pectin one more time since this is what I have, I will search for the Pomona in the meantime.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Muscadine, per the wife
FJ, we are new to growing muscadines. We had a nice small crop growing. We went out one evening to see if they were ready and every single one of them was gone. :( What would have done that and how do you prevent it?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FJ, we are new to growing muscadines. We had a nice small crop growing. We went out one evening to see if they were ready and every single one of them was gone. :( What would have done that and how do you prevent it?
Just about anything will steal your grapes. Birds, racoons, squirrels, and even deer. Sure stinks when you walk out in anticipation of harvesting and find them gone. That happened to a lot of my corn this year. Had a coon who could shuck that corn and clean dozens of cobs overnight. :(