Greatest Organic Pesticide: VACUUM POWER!

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wanted to add the experiment i did this year to kill off the green catepillars that were destroying my fruit trees!first i was letting them live there, being nice, but then they really started eating all the leaves. it was driving me nuts seeing the total destruction of the leaves, and one tree dropped its fruits(100s of fruits!). that was the last straw so i figured after a while, that i could use the shop vac to suck them right off the trees. i took the shop vac out, modified the end of the hose so that it was a smaller diameter tube for more suction and started sucking the tree. it worked very well and i was excited that i did not have to use pesticides to have fruit on the trees. most of the time i only had to go over the branches at a medium pace to get them to fall off and have them contained in the vacuum. obviously im sure there were some that survived, but you get this when you spray pesticides on trees as well.

at this point the trees are doing well, they are small trees, so it didnt take alot of effort to do this, im sure its about the same effort as spraying the trees. the trees recovered there foilage and look very healthy, the fruits have no holes or blemishes from the bugs, because they are all gone lol.

the scientific part i figured from this is, i didnt spray any chemical that the bugs can evolve to, to become resistant. useing a mechanical method as the suction takes the bugs right out, it doesnt allow some to survive and get resistant to a chemical, which they can lay there babies which can be resistant to the pesticide, this is a great find(thus i used no poisons and refuse to! :lol: )! also, by sucking a whole group of the catepillars off the trees i have eliminated a part of the insects life cycle, so that theoretically the population of the insects will be less next year. so next years suctioning, thoretically should not be as much. if they become strong enough to hold on, i can always increase the suction, and also, they become afixiated when the vacuum decreased the oxygen around them causing them to weaken there grasp. from this, the shop vacuum can be a powerful organic pesticide! after they can be made into compost or food for chickens for people who have them, or probably good fish food too!! all that protein catepillar lol...

hope this helps the people going organic, tell me what you guys think lol....

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i also wanted to add, that this should work soo well on vegtable and other fruit destroying insects. for example, this can work very well on the potatoe bugs, i tried it on my friends farm, sucks those ugly bastar*s right up and out of sight, saving the potatoes! they are an organic farm, but they didnt accept my idea lol, ohh well, there good people, there using like organic bacteria or something..... if i had a farm i would use the vacuum to the fullest hahaha!! all organic, there are no, if, ands, or buts :lol:

;)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Interesting approach, I would make sure I don't mess up the filter, depending on the amount of "biomass" you suction up.

My trees are further away than I have extension cords right at the moment, so :hu

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Interesting approach, I would make sure I don't mess up the filter, depending on the amount of "biomass" you suction up.

My trees are further away than I have extension cords right at the moment, so :hu
i understand jamie.my trees are near the house so its close to do the extention cord. u could always get the portable generator and go from there hahaha. its an old shop vac that im using, even using a screen instead of the paper filter can be used, because theres not gonna be a fine dust, it might somehow release the pollen into the air as well if you do it that way, so the energy to suck the bugs up can blow the pollen into the air as well lol. yes it did take off some leaves, but it was mainly the damaged portions of the leaves, so it was actually helpful lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WHOA I am SOOO suckin up some dang squash bugs tomorrow!! We have to do it with lady bugs in the house every year, then we return them outdoors, but I never thought of doing it with garden pests LOL!

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
WHOA I am SOOO suckin up some dang squash bugs tomorrow!! We have to do it with lady bugs in the house every year, then we return them outdoors, but I never thought of doing it with garden pests LOL!
ohhh yea!! please tell me how it goes! i have a feeling its gonna go good!! obviously you can also make the hose longer so you dont have to lean over or hurt your back or anything too, make things as easy as possible lol.

the major thing needed is a powerful suction like the shop vacs and possibly a brush and a smaller diameter end seems to be more direct in the action of the vacuum to pull them bugs off lol. the fruit trees are soo green and healthy now, there is no signs of the catepillars or any cocoons or things like that lol. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah i will be using a Shop Vac as well. I have a smallish one and LOTS of extension cords to get out there to the squah and pumpkin patches :D :D :D I'll let ya know how it goes ;)

S

sunsaver

Pretty neat trick! I just use soapy water in a pump sprayer. But then i have to wash off the leaves. Youve got a shop vac full of chicken feed! If you spray dormant oil in late winter, it will kill all the eggs, and you wont have as many bug problems.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yeah i will be using a Shop Vac as well. I have a smallish one and LOTS of extension cords to get out there to the squah and pumpkin patches :D :D :D I'll let ya know how it goes ;)
Both squash and pumpkin would be exposed to being broken if you aren't careful...but you know that. ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
Both squash and pumpkin would be exposed to being broken if you aren't careful...but you know that. ;)
Yeah, but I gotta do something :hu