"Green" and inexpensive christmas decorations

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have in the past strung cranberries and popcorn and hung them outside for the birds.

Birds ate the popcorn, but not the cranberries. I didn't have chickens then, so I bet the cranberries wouldn't go to waste this year!! :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hummm....

I just saw a grape vine wreath on a website decorated with quail eggs. GEE!!! Guess who now has quail eggs!!!

:D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hummm....

I just saw a grape vine wreath on a website decorated with quail eggs. GEE!!! Guess who now has quail eggs!!!

:D
That sounds cool! If you make one, we want to see the picture! You guys have me all excited about making a grape vine wreath the next time I prune my grapes. :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the great ideas, keep em coming!
Cranberries do work pretty good, if ya don't mind red juicy fingers while stringing :p
We don't have many pine trees around here (more east of the mountains) mostly fir trees with about 3" to 4" cones and they work okay but aren't as dry or firm to work with. Also for smaller decorations, I've used alder tree cones which are only about 1/2 inch and are fairly sturdy to work with, not as soft as larger fir cones.
I'm also thinking of stringing popcorn and some other kind of treats to hang in the chicken pen.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Those are very nice wreaths, Wifezilla. I was also imagining one could make a little nest, with eggs in it, on a wreath.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
OldFashion, did your apple and orange slices change colors? Did you dip them in lemon juice before you dehdyrated?:hide

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Regarding threading popcorn--we found it best if you let it go stale.

When we lived up north, we spent one Christmas at our camp. With no hydro, we chopped a small tree down, strung it with popcorn, cut down som ehighbush cranberries, and tied them up into little bundles, hung carrots and apples on the tree and made salt dough ornaments. The kids mad some of those paper tube garlands. when we were done with the tree, we put it outside for the animals to enjoy. Most of the decorations stayed all wither, and in spring they disappeared.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
OldFashion, did your apple and orange slices change colors? Did you dip them in lemon juice before you dehdyrated?:hide
No I didn't dip them with anything or any pretreatment. Just sprinkled on the spices. They did turn just a little, but not as brown as if cut and left for dead. I don't know for sure the science of it, but I think the heated air circulation of the dehydrater stops or atleast slows the browning effect. :hu Just my opinion.

The slices I did are on our wreath and have been there since Monday and haven't gotten any darker either. They have picked up some humidity cause they are now soft to the touch, but not fully rehydrated or even very pliable. Here our weather has been fairly sunny and cool. Nights down to 20's-30's, days around 40's+. They still look and smell good.