Green Cleaning Recipes

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
These formulas come from The Naturally Clean Home; 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning by Karyn Siegel-Maier

Deterring Mice Formula
3 tsp peppermint or spearmint essential oil
2 cups water

Spray in area to deter mice. Works for ants too.

Homemade All Purpose Stain Spray
.25 cup vegetable oil-based soap
.25 cup glycerin
2 Tb borax
10 drops peppermint OR tea tree essential oil
1.75 cups water

Combine in a spray bottle. Shake well. Spray generously over the stain and launder as usual.

Homemade On The Spot Stain Lifter
2 T cream of tartar
2 drops peppermint, eucalyptus, OR lemon essential oil
Water

Mix to make a paste. Spread over the stain and allow to dry completely before washing.

Disinfectant Thyme Cleaning Formula
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
5 drops tea tree essential oil
3 drops thyme essential oil

This is great for walls and painted furniture. Mix ingredients in spray bottle. Spray the area and wipe with clean damp sponge. Give a final wipe with a cloth or sponge moistened with plain water.

Carpet Steamer Shampoo
1.5 cups very hot water
1 cup white vinegar
2 Tb liquid Castile soap
60 drops thyme essential oil

Combine. Add formula to appropriate compartment of your steam cleaner. Clean according to manufacturers directions.

Heavy Duty Carpet Steamer Formula
1.5 cups very hot water
1 cup white vinegar
2 Tb hydrogen peroxide (omit if cleaning dark colored carpets)
2 Tb liquid Castile soap
2 Tb powdered citric acid
40 drops grapefruit seed extract

Combine. Add formula to appropriate compartment of your steam cleaner. Clean according to manufacturers directions.

Rosemary Lavender Carpet Shampoo
2 cups baking soda
.5 cup soap flakes
20 drops lavender essential oil
8 drops rosemary essential oil
.5 cup vinegar
2 cups warm water

This makes enough for a 10 x 13 room. If you cant find soap flakes, use .25 cup of borax instead, but test before using, as it may change the color of the carpet.

Vacuum carpet well. Combine baking soda, soap flakes, and essential oils, using a fork to break up any clumps. Sprinkle formula on carpet.

Combine vinegar and water. Dip a clean sponge mop into the mixture and wring out all excess liquid. Gently go over the carpet, working in sections. Wait at least an hour and vacuum again.

Peppermint Foam Carpet Shampoo for Heavy Traffic Areas
3 cups water
.75 cup vegetable based liquid soap
10 drops peppermint essential oil

Vacuum carpet well. Mix ingredients in blender. Rub the foam into soiled areas with a damp sponge. Let dry thoroughly and then vacuum again.

Fleas Be Gone Carpet Treatment Formula
2.5 cups baking soda
20 drops sweet orange essential oil
20 drops citronella essential oil
16 drops peppermint or spearmint essential oil
12 drops lemon or lemon balm essential oil

Vacuum carpet well. Combine and sprinkle formula on carpet. Wait at least one hour before vacuuming again. Dispose of vacuum cleaner bag to prevent reinfestation of fleas.

Mold & Mildew Bathroom Cleaner
2 cups water
8 to 10 drops citrus seed extract
2 teaspoons tea tree essential oil
4 drops juniper essential oil

Use this formula on shower stalls, curtains, tracks on sliding doors to remove mold and mildew.

Combine in a spray bottle. Shake well. Spray generously but do not rinse.

NOTE: If you already have a buildup of mold or mildew, allow the spray to rest on the surface areas for a few hours. Wipe with a soft cloth, then respray the area and let air dry.

Mold & Mildew Destroyer
1 gallon water
4 cups hot vinegar
2 cups lemon juice
4 teaspoons tea tree oil

Combine in bucket if using a cloth or mop. Wring out excess liquid. Wipe from top to bottom. Do not rinse.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks! They sound great :) Can you personally attest their efficacy?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have used the following...

Deterring Mice Formula
Disinfectant Thyme Cleaning Formula
Mold & Mildew Destroyer

In the spring I am planning on trying some of the carpet cleaning formulas.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma, where do you find essential oils?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have two lemon bushes, so we have lots of lemons. I remembered my mother used lemon to get stains out of clothing, test it first though, because it may bleach the fabric. I use lemons to clean my house. I just put cut up lemon in the blender, puree it, then strain it. I put the juice in a spray bottle and use it on any smooth surface. It works well in the bathroom, great on glass, helps remove mold and mildew and mineral buildup around the faucet, works on the stove removing grease, and makes the house smell good. And my fingernails get a nice bleaching also.
How's that for cheap, organic and easy. Dow Chemical eat your heart out. :plbb

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
oh, I'm jealous :hit Lemons in your yard! I like using them with a bunch of salt to scour that buildup around faucets. But, they're pretty expensive up here in WI, so lemons are really pretty much a treat.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I know it is sickening having two lemon bushes. I grew up in upstate New York. I definitely appreciate our mild climate here in California and the plants I am able to grow.
We don't waste our lemons either. If nothing else, we spend a day in the spring, juicing them and freezing the lemon juice in ice cube trays. I have friends who love it when I bring lemons to their jobs. When they feel the afternoon doldrums, they just rub the lemon for a little pick-me-up.
I sometimes just squirt some of the juice around the house to make it smell nice.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! Now stored in my file :D