Green Garlic; Fennel - my first foray into these items

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Green garlic, as I understand it, is just the new Spring growth, before the bulb has a chance to form - think "green onions", but garlic instead. I've never used them, but have enough in the garden this year that I should, and will. Fennel is nice braised; look for a recipe for braised celery, and use the fennel instead. Or sliced raw in salads. The fronds are perfectly edible; take a taste, and imagine where you might like that flavor. The herb fennel, by the way, that is the plant without the bulb, just the frond like leaves, grows wild all over the coast in N. California; as a N. Californian I'm sure you've seen it, though you might not have known what it was.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I use young garlic, which I think is what you got, in anything that I use garlic or chives or green onions in. I often go out and cut just the green part of the garlic to put in a salad or in soup.

We also like to bake our meat and add chunks of carrot, potato, onion and the fennel to the baking dish. SO doesn't care for the licorice like taste of it, but I love it.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eek.
I'm terrified of fennel. I am the "eat anything still or moving slowly" sort, but I detest licorice flavors, so I have never used fennel.

I had a horrible encounter with fennel toothpaste a couple years ago.

Is it better cooked?

I'd love to fear no food, but fennel is my kryptonite.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Eek.
I'm terrified of fennel. I am the "eat anything still or moving slowly" sort, but I detest licorice flavors, so I have never used fennel.

I had a horrible encounter with fennel toothpaste a couple years ago.

Is it better cooked?

I'd love to fear no food, but fennel is my kryptonite.
I don't like licorice either, and didn't try fennel for a long time. But I quite llike it now that I've tried it. You might try it braised, as I mentioned above. Mix it with some celery stalks, and some onion, garlic, herbs, and braise it gently in chicken or veggie stock.